Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Word formatting problem

• Please log in to reply

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
After scanning a page of a three-column document I got a file(see attached) that displays pretty much as the original. I saved it as a Word file and can retrieve it fine. But when I try to highlight portions of the file, odd things happen. Althouh it <<looks>> like a conventional word document it apparently is not.

If I try to highlight any “block” (like the “32” or the “A-65079g”), I get an odd rectangle around the block; the rectangle’s perimeter is made up of hash marks (like /////).

And I cannot highlight multiple “blocks” of text, say the “32” and the “ A-65079g” and the text to the right – as I normally do with a Word file.

What is that rectangle and why does it appear?

How can I highlight (and do a Ctrl-C) on, say all of the second coumn?

Attached Thumbnails

• screenshot923j.JPG

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
They've been converted to text boxes. Just click inside to edit it's contents.
Everything in that document looks like text boxes, you can't highlight the second column because there is no column to select. It's laid out like a table but it isn't a table.
You'll have to make a new table and use copy and paste on the contents of each text box to get it into appropriate cells in order to be able to format it all, otherwise you may have to do each one individually.

Unfortunately this sort of thing happens if you scan stuff in with OCR technology, it'll reproduce it happily but you can't always guarantee how it's going to do it.