Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

An Annoying Folder Problem

• Please log in to reply

Gregg123

Gregg123

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Hi Guys,
I have an external hard drive that I use to store, amongst other things, my music (lets take this as the example).

When I have an Album, I use a Thumbnail of the Album cover for the file I keep the mp3s in. The problem is, for example, if I move a Folder all the settings I had carefully made (e.g. the thumbnail for the file) seem to reset? Plus, the actual mp3 files which were thumbnails in the folder, sometimes become a FilmStrip & sometimes revert to Icons.

How do I a. Set up these things so that when they are created they are always the same. and b. preserve changes I make to folders and contents when I move them?

I have just read the above and realised I have made a total mess of what I am trying to say - hopefully someone can understand me!!

Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
open up my computer and navigate to one of the folders that is set up the way that you want it...then click tools, then folder options, then the view tab....press the "apply to all folders button"...this will apply the view to all folders on your computer

Gregg123

Gregg123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Will this solve the problem, for example if I create a new Folder and move another folder into it with a thumbnail picture - will this retain the setting once it is moved?

Cheers.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
probably not permanently...if you ever change the folder view on any of the target folders you'd have to do it again