Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Followed an online guide to get rid of Windows Police Pro, now cannot

• Please log in to reply

LBbug13

LBbug13

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I got home today and after about a half hour of using my computer I found out I had the 'scareware' malware Windows Police Pro somehow installed on my computer. I was aware that it was not a legit antivirus program and I knew that a system restore would fix this, the problem was, for some reason, I don't have any restore points, for reasons I do not know why, perhaps related to the malware?

So after doing a few scans with avast to try and see if it would pick it up with no success, I consulted the internet with anyone posting of a similar problem and a fix. I opted to using Malwarebytes, but this particular malware apparently blocks Malwarebytes from running, so I ran a few lines in OTM and apparently edited something in my registry as per this guide here:

http://cantalktech.c...lice-pro-virus/

The guide instructed me to download OTM and write the lines as follows:
:processes    svchasts.exe    windows Police Pro.exe    :services    AntipPro2009_100    :reg    [-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Browser Helper Objects\{76DC0B63-1533-4ba9-8BE8-D59EB676FA02}]    :files    %windir%\system32\desote.exe    %windir%\system32\dddesot.dll    %windir%\svchasts.exe    %ProgramFiles%\Windows Police Pro

Then it had me paste the following and save as a .reg file and load that:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command]@=”\”%1\” %*”

I followed all the steps there, ran Malwarebytes, removed all results and upon reboot, the malware was gone. The problem now is, I cannot run many programs that I could before, namely AIM and Ventrilo. Also, I cannot access my add/remove programs window, it just never comes up when I click on it from the control panel.

I consulted a more tech savvy friend of mine and he berated me about what I had done but offered no real solution other than to reformat, which I'm afraid I'll have to resort to if I cannot come up with a solution in the next few days.

Any assistance you could give would be greatly appreciated, thanks for your time.

Edited by LBbug13, 24 September 2009 - 10:14 AM.

Advertisements