Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

can a cpu fry a mobo?

• Please log in to reply

jeff1234

jeff1234

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I have a dell 4600. It does nothing at all when the power button is pressed. (NOTHING). Except a green LED on the MoBO.
Pulled all cards, memory, drives out of it and still nothing, when I pulled the CPU out and looked at it the pins were bent (probably enough to make contact with each other). Are the CPU and MoBO dead? If I straiten out the pins could it be ok? I did not do this to it so I don't know what exactly happened, but supposedly it is or was a new MoBo.

Advertisements

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
first check that the wire from the power button is connected to the motherboard if you removed that the way it hooks up is trickey and might have to guess and check till it is in the exact spot with the pins other then that i don't know the problem. Is it plugeed in? surge protector?

linuxwannabee

linuxwannabee

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
:tazz: I don't know what you mean by the pins being crossed.

In order to get two pins into one hole on the socket, would require some serious bending, to the point where it would be noticeable and only a hack would even attempt it.

Are you saying you believe your computer was running like this previously? ;)

Have you attempted a processor upgrade and it's gone wrong?

DaveB - LinuxWannabee

jeff1234

jeff1234

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
The pins were crunched on the CPU. The guy i got it from didn't seperate the heat sink from it and tried to push it in. The pins didn't sit right and he F*@#ed it all up. Mobo is dead and I'm not gonna test CPU on my good computer. It was not working at all after he replaced it. I was just wondering (A) if some of the pins got bent and made contact with each other, but some went in and got power it would fry the CPU, right. (B) Could that also fry the MoBo? He said he was putting in a new Mobo and when he got it in nothing worked. I'm giving it back. But thanks for the suggestions.

linuxwannabee

linuxwannabee

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
:) Well, if the pc was powered up, with pins compressed together, in order to get the cpu to sit properly, then yes - it could well fry both the cpu and/or the board.

I would hope if the cpu were to blow, there might be protection elsewhere on the board, to protect that.

I've had power supplies blow rather spectaculary in the past (looked like the turbo boost on bat man's car!) - and the board was spared, but I don't know if the board would be protected in the case of the cpu blowing.

Your friend hasn't done you any favours.

Yes you could test the cpu in another computer, but you run the risk of damaging that as well. I'd say, purchase a new cpu first and try that in your old board. If it don't work, then you know you board is fubar also.

Best to go stealthy with the potentially damaged kit, without damaging good kit ;)

I'm no electronics expert, it could be that if you fit a suspect cpu in a good board, just by way of testing it, it will blow the board. If you put a good cpu in a bad board, maybe there's a risk there too.

Truthfully, although it will hurt financially - I'd be tempted to bite the bullet and purchase a new board and cpu - which will probably mean buying new ram, depending on the age of your old board and the ram you had in it - and assuming that the ram too wasn't damaged.

Be aware, even if you take your board to be 'tested' in a high street dealership, they only test it at a rudimentary level - i.e. plugging basic essentials into and seeing if it boots. That doesn't amount to a proper electrical test, and even if it 'works' - doesn't guarantee everything is okay with the board.

You may get it hope, start using it and getting BSODs (blue screens of death) every where.

My advice - get your friend who caused the prob, to contribute to the cost of your new system :tazz:

It's a shame when people claim to know what they are doing, and seem as if they are doing you a favour, but in the end, they do you a great dis-service ;)

Linuxwannabee