Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Keyboard doesnt read during boot.

• Please log in to reply

Noitora

Noitora

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
Well I am building a computer for my friend in NY, Situation comes down I used some parts from another computer in order to make this one happen. Ended up replacing the motherboard and the power supply, When the installation of the motherboard got finished. I booted the system up. And had the lights on the motherboard flash for a quick second and usually I would go into bios and set up the new mobo, or proceed to get it in there using the disk. But to no avail my keyboard isnt reading what so ever. I tried 2 different ps2 keyboards, and 2 USB ones but to no avail did they work. Ive tried resetting cmos. Its ben a while and have a lot in my mind I may have forgotten, but removing the battery for 10 mins, or switching the jumper to the other side of the 3 pin fr a while and re doing it. Let me know if I did something wrong, but I am farely desperate.

P5Q-EM ASUS MOTHERBOARD.
INTEL CORE 2 DUO PROCESSOR
2 sTICKS OF 1GB DDR2 RAM
A SAMSUNG SV4002H 40 GB HD SPIN POINT.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Hi there,

That sure sounds weird, especially with you trying so many keyboards already.

Try disconnecting everything unnecessary for a simple POST and see if it works then.

Does the computer POST successfully every time, just not reading the keyboard input?

Cheers

Troy

Noitora

Noitora

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Alright, When I try to run POST, I hear o beeps what so ever, I would like to add on to this, I tried building a computer based off parts from a old one a friend of mines offered, something I would like to note on this, That motherboard, the hardrive Do not function anymore, I ended up buying a 500 Watt Powersupply and the P5Q-EM Motherboard, since the 2 didnt function, so when I put it all toghether I cleared cmos. I did it afterwards so i ended up messing up. So I removed the CPU. And did a factory reset, this time i reput it toghether, and ended up clearing cmos first, and I still get the issue which is once again, P5Q-EM logo, Keyboard flashes once and then doesnt read and goes straight into the option of depedning on which type of keyboard
PS2: No keyboard detected
USB: Keyboard is detected but it seems that its frozen in place. and wont react to any stroke of the key

Any immidieate help is appreciated.

Edited by Noitora, 26 September 2009 - 06:43 PM.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Did you try all the USB ports on your mobo and the front ones on your case?

Noitora

Noitora

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
I tried them all. Same result im getting the hint it may be the proccesor but I want to be sure.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Does it tell you what BIOS revision is installed? If so, double-check that the CPU is listed under the CPU support list for that BIOS revision on that motherboard. I'm yet to see or hear of a faulty CPU being the cause of some issues... It's extremely rare.

Noitora

Noitora

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
bis version 1.1.0.L69 if thats not the revision then sadly no.

But there is something I just found out at this moment. The Processor my friend gave me to was in fact a Intel 4 Proccesor sl7kl, which the mobo supports core 2 duo+. Took out the cpu and couldnt find the box, so i had to clean some glue off and I found it odd, the idiot -_-. Ive been fooled, aside from that I may ned to replace the proccecor since it doesnt meet right?

Edited by Noitora, 27 September 2009 - 05:41 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Have a look on your motherboard CPU support list, you'll find it on the manufacturer's website, and see if the CPU is listed. The fact that it even fits and tries to boot up means it's the correct socket in the very least, let's just hope we can find an answer in the support list.

Troy

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
The CPU is on the mobo support list... P4-540, since BIOS 0202.
http://processorfind...spx?sSpec=SL7KL

I would suggest that you call Asus and ask them... their tech support is good (at least that's my experience)

Noitora

Noitora

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Alright the issue has been fixed, turns out the suppos Intel Core 2 duo i was provided happaned to be a intel 4, the guy that gave it to me was confident it was a duo, removed the glue saw it it said intel 4 bah, I went out and bought the duo and the keyboard works, thank ou guys for your time, if yall didnt mention about the cpu I would of gave up -_-, Thank you!!!

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
By glue you mean thermal paste, right?
That is weird... the motherboard also supported the Intel P4. I wonder why that didn't work. What processor did you buy? Are you going to overclock it?