Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

unable to boot

• Please log in to reply

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
That's exactly what I was getting at to confirm if the CD drive is indeed faulty or not.

Advertisements

baby82

baby82

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hi. i cannot boot my laptop and when diagnose, IDE device failed. blank media or no media is present in the optical drive.what is that mean? is it serious?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
baby82 You posted into two threads belonging to other people. If you need help, which seems obvious, you need to start your own thread.

NOTEVER

NOTEVER

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
Managed to get he USB ready for the XP install. After much excitement all I get is the options GUI and Text Mode then once Text is chosen the horrible BSOD appears. How disappointing thought I was making progress. Thanks again to all especially Makai for the help

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Sheesh! Sorry you're having so much trouble. I can imagine your disappointment!

Are there any errors posted with the BSOD?

If you go through all the bios screens, can you see anything that might appear unusual? Is the hard drive, cdrom, ram detected and correctly identified? Is there any place you can check voltages in bios?

Try taking out 1 ram module at a time (if you have more than one installed) and try installing XP again. Swap modules and slots if needed.

Also, see if you can boot up without the CDROM drive installed in the computer. Pull it out and try installing XP. Perhaps something is wrong with it and causing some anomaly with the motherboard.

Since it's a laptop, there's not much you can pull out unless you're willing to disassemble. However, I would start pulling the wireless card, modem, etc, to see if something is affecting the XP installation. Basically, it comes down to isolation, as we're beginning to run out of options here.

NOTEVER

NOTEVER

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
Tried the USB again this morning but all I'm getting now is

Intel UNDI, PXE-2.0 (build 082)
Copyright © 1997,1998,199 Intel Corp
VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter v2.41 (2005/02/16)
PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable

PXE-MOF: Exiting Intel PXE ROM
Operating System not found

I'll try your other suggestions and see what happens
Cheers

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
I'm going to have to build a USB XP flashdrive as I have no experience with it. Which site did you use to build yours? I'll try it, but I have a laptop I have to repair today, (something like 200+ malware hits so far), so I may not be able to have the results until tomorrow.

NOTEVER

NOTEVER

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
Makai

This is the site I used

http://www.lockergno...sb-flash-drive/

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Ok, give me sometime to try this. I do need to complete the laptop repair, so it may not be till tomorrow until I attempt this.

NOTEVER

NOTEVER

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
No prob. Thanks

Advertisements

NOTEVER

NOTEVER

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
Just tried the USB gain after reseating the RAM module and the message I get after choosing the Text mode is
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt.
<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll.
Please reinstall a copy of the above file

Shall I redo the USB procedure?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
When you formatted your disk, how did you do it? The HAL error during setup points to a possible "Dynamic Disc Overlay" formatted drive... something you really don't need/want to have. What kind of HDD is it... manufacture/model number? If you have the HDD manufactures formatting utility, reformat it and remove the Dynamic Overlay.

NOTEVER

NOTEVER

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
I have formatted the disk a number of times mainly when connected via my IDE - USB cable attached to my desktop pc. However I think during the USB procedure I recently did, at that link I gave you, it formats it again.
HDD is a Western Digital IDE WD600VE WD Scorpio

NOTEVER

NOTEVER

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
Started afresh loading the USB XP flash . Everything went well loading the USB but installing it onto the laptop and choosing the Text option gave me the BSOD again. The error shows as
0x0000007B
(0xF79A263C, 0xC0000034,
0x00000000, 0x00000000)
Does that mean anything?
Tried choosing the GUI option and it gave me the hal.dll error.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here for Advanced troubleshooting for "Stop 0x0000007B" errors in Windows XP...
I think you should run chkdsk /r and memtest...you can run chkdsk /r from the recovery console