Welcome Guest to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE
Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of friendly volunteers serve up answers and support. Get free advice from the experts. Feel free to browse the site as a guest. However, you must log in to reply to existing topics or start a new topic of your own, and enjoy all this forum has to offer. Additionally, if you can assist another member by sharing your knowledge, please post a reply! Best of all - Registration and all assistance, is FREE! Learn more about How it Works. Infected? Malware Cleaning Guide. What are you waiting for?
Create an Account Login to Account

Dismounting / Mounting network drive via command line

• Please log in to reply

diggeryo

diggeryo

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
On the computer in question, I am using Windows XP Home SP3 with all the latest updates installed. Is there any way to mount and dismount a network drive using the command line?

thanks,
mike.

Similar Topics: Dismounting / Mounting network drive via command line     x

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 25,762 posts
  • MVP
yes

you can either use the net use command

to map a drive:
net use <Drive Letter>: \\<computername>\<sharename>\
*adding the /P switch will make it persistent, I.E. it will reconnect next time you start your computer

to unmap a drive:
net use <Drive Letter>: /Delete

or you could use a VBScript (i can supply an example of one if you like)

diggeryo

diggeryo

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
Hi dsenette,

Thanks for the reply.

I got the unmap command to work. The map command, however, is giving me the following error:

"System error 53 has occurred.
The network path was not found."

However, when I attempt to remap the drive through Windows, it will map correctly.

I should point out that, though I mentioned I will be using this on a computer with XP Home, I am currently testing it out on my work computer, which is XP Professional. Could that be causing the error in question?

By the way, no need, I believe, to supply an example of the VBScript. Thanks for the offer, though.

Mike.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 25,762 posts
  • MVP
it should work in home or pro

what exactly are you typing to map the drive?

it should look like:
net use e: \\financial\letters

diggeryo

diggeryo

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
I figured out the problem. The name I was trying to map had a space in it. I tried the commands you supplied on a network drive without a space in the name, and it worked fine.

My home computer, however, DOES have a space in the name I believe. How would I map such a drive?

This is the command I was using here that did NOT work: net use p: \\diane comp\diane

I then tried all of the following, but none worked:

net use p: "\\diane comp\diane"
"net use p: \\diane comp\diane"
net use p: \\"diane comp"\diane

Any suggestions?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 25,762 posts
  • MVP
net use p: "\\diane comp\diane"
that one should work

in the command prompt can you ping that computer by name?

type
ping "diane comp"
does that work?

diggeryo

diggeryo

• PipPipPip
  • 339 posts
The ping request came back as follows: "Ping request could not find host diane comp. Please check the name and try again."

Which is wierd, because I am able to map it in Windows. And can access the drive through a command prompt once it is mapped in Windows.

However, we might be getting ahead of ourselves here. As I said, I was just testing the commands you gave me on "diane comp." I will really be using them on my home computer, though, so it doesn't matter that it won't work on "diane comp." If I run into the same problem on my home computer, I just might be replying to this thread again, though.

Thanks for the help, and I hope you won't be hearing from me again. ;-)

mike.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

As Featured On:

featured