Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Limited or No Connectivity - Windows Vista

• Please log in to reply

TheLuckless

TheLuckless

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Using Windows Vista.

Over the summer, the computer used a Wireless USB adapter to connect to the internet. Now that it is back at school, it won't connect at all. The On-Board Ethernet Port seems faulty as it constantly switches from saying the cord is unplugged to saying it has Limited or No Connectivity.

Assuming the On-Board was just screwy, I went out and bought Best Buy's basic Ethernet PCI card and hooked it up. It got rid of the first problem in that it recognizes that it is plugged in and connects to an "Unidentified Network" but continues to only have Limited or No Connectivity.

I tried everything I could think of: resetting the IP config, letting Windows try to repair it, yelling it out loudly, and so on.

I am not fluent in Vista so perhaps it is normal, but when running the "Create a Network Wizard" it seems to only want to set up a Wireless Network so I wondered if there is some setting somewhere that makes it want to look for a Wireless Network since that is what it used over the summer.

Additional notes: this is a friend's computer and I am an XP user so I drowned myself in Vista trying to figure things out. Still, I tried everything that I would do with XP and it still doesn't want to work. I was all ready to re-format and install XP but the father of the computer's owner seems to not trust me with his daughter's computer so I will hope that you all can offer some helpful advice that will result in this technological malady to make sense.

Oh, also, in case it was not inferred, this is a school Network so I don't have easy access to restarting routers and such. I could try but I don't think they would like it.

I am not adjacent to the computer at the moment but will upload specific versions of Vista and Ethernet card later, if it is needed.

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,839 posts
Because you are at school, you would need to contact the system administrator to work out this problem. It's highly possible that the network has been setup securely and you need to configure the networking settings in a specific way. Either way, they'll be able to tell you.

Another thought, maybe you weren't yelling loud enough? :)