Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Internet after Restoration

• Please log in to reply

storyc80

storyc80

• Pip
  • 4 posts
After I restored my computer everything except for the internet worked...

This happened to me once before but apparently it was just that the drivers were not updated (or the yellow ? next to drivers in MY COMPUTER management...

but now that same driver isnt there to update....

The only connection being shown is the 1394 connection and no LAN or anything like that...

Pleaseeee helppp!

Thank you,
C

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,
What kind of computer is this? Desktop, laptop? Do you have a manufacture/model number? Did you install the motherboard chipset driver?

Please go to Start>run... type in devmgmt.msc ... Are there any yellow or red marks in Device manager?

storyc80

storyc80

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok I'm a senior in college but yet very computer illiterate haha...

It is a gateway desktop probably 4 years old.... the model number is G
ATEWAY GT5220...

Honestly I dont know what the motherboard chipset is...

And the only thing in the device manager has to deal with my printers HP Photosmart

The entire story is that I left my computer in my apartment at school all summer, moved back home and then when i got back it was like the entire thing was frozen... I had no icons or anything... so I restored or rebooted or whatever and then I got everything back except for the internet...

It keeps trying to walk me through setting up a dial up connection everytime I restore it but I have a cable internet...

It's very frustrating and I have no clue what to do what-so-ever

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

so I restored or rebooted or whatever

It may help, if you tell us what exactly you did.

storyc80

storyc80

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I put in the restoration cd and did a full system reformat...

everything that first came on my computer came back (i.e. 90 day trial of AOL)...

Now everything works great except the internet, it can't find a connection, and I have my "RoadRunner" cable plugged directly in the back of it and it wont pick up that connection...

The only network connections it shows is 1394connection, No LAN or anything like that...

And there are no drivers to update or install under "Device Manager" in MY COMPUTER.

Last night I downloaded the motherboard driver thing from Gateway.com onto a flash drive and tried to install it on my computer but it said I had already had that installed...

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Can you post a screenshot of Device Manager so we can see what might be missing?

storyc80

storyc80

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Definitly If you tell me how to do it!

Im very sorry again I'm pretty computer illeterate

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Did you try to download and install network card driver?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

Definitly If you tell me how to do it!

You can go HERE to get the free version of Printscreen. Go through the options once you install and direct it to save the file to your desktop, then upload it in your next reply. It an easy program to use, but if you can't figure it out, let me know.