Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

full internet signal, cant open webpages

• Please log in to reply

curlyfry09

curlyfry09

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello

My gf's laptop was starting to act up a bit and get very slow, so I decided to download AVG and adaware to try and speed it up a bit as this always works on my computer, after the installs her network icon in the bottom right tray indicates she has a full signal but nothing is able to connect to the internet either wirelessly or when plugged into the router which my desktop is working off of just fine. I tried opening explorer, messenger and windows update and nothing would work. Pretty sure I have some sort of virus but dont know how to check, AVG was useless and I have since deleted it. Any input would be GREAT thanks

Dan

Advertisements

curlyfry09

curlyfry09

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
oh I also tried to restore the system to its state 2 days prior to this happening and it worked for about two minutes and then failed again

Mr.Friend

Mr.Friend

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
What is the operating system of the laptop?

Could you please do an ipconfig on the laptop and post here the result. :)

Edited by Mr.Friend, 24 September 2009 - 06:24 PM.

curlyfry09

curlyfry09

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
When I open the command prompt it says C:\windows\system32>, i tried typing in <ipconfig>, ipconfig, and ipconfig.exe and they returned me with "media disconnected" message like four times, I am running vista on it

Mr.Friend

Mr.Friend

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hello,

Kindly hardwire the laptop to do wireless router and try the following:

At the bottom right hand corner of your desktop (just near the time), right click the icon with two yellow computers.

Once it brought up the Menu, click on "Open Network and Sharing Center"

Once Network and Sharing Center is up, at the left menus, choose "Manage Network Connections"

Once it brought up the next window you should see the two icons namely:

Local Area Connection and Wireless Network Connection.

Kindly right click each icons, choose "Status" and once it brought up the status box, kindly click "Details". Kindly post here the ipv4 address, subnet mask and default gateway on each icons.

Thanks. :)