Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

internet speeds..

• Please log in to reply

filly77

filly77

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
I keep trying to view videos or listen to songs and they take forever to load. i did a speed test via speakeasy and these are the results.

Last Result:
Download Speed: 719 kbps (89.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 483 kbps (60.4 KB/sec transfer rate)

I have a dry loop dsl connection, I used to have cable w/ blazing fast speeds, never had to wait for anything!! I know nothing about the numbers above, but from what little i read, these DSL speeds are "supposedly" fast (HA!), but Im waiting for things to load all the time. Ive been waiting for about 5 minutes and this one 8 minute vid on youtube isnt even 1/8 way downloaded..

What gives? Should I contact my ISP or just switch back when I can? (yr contract :)) these slow speeds are NOT worth 44 dollars a month!

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
What's your ISP advertised speed?

filly77

filly77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
no clue? i have fairpoint.. thats all i know really

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Call them and ask them.

filly77

filly77

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
well i just went to their website, i joined up for the 40 dollar a month plan, w/ taxes they claim it will be about 44 dollars, but the 1st 6 months is 1/2 off, @ 19.99. that means i should have speeds up to 7 mbps. Im at the speed right now of their starter package, of 17.99!

i WILL be calling them Monday! because these "speeds" or should I say slows is ridiculous!

With my luck they wont make good of it, my cousin told me to watch my bill!!! She is NO longer with them, I guess a lot of people are complaining about the bills (hidden charges & mess ups with the wrong services) so much so that I heard the company was almost shut down by the state... or something on those lines!

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Obviously, your first step would be to ask your ISP, what's going on...