Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

CPU operating at 100%

• Please log in to reply

RickMath

RickMath

• PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
Something is tying up my computer and making the CPU run at 100%. It takes 30 minutes to reboot. Then the cpu usage is down for a while and them goes back up. When it does nothing seems to run without taking many minutes to start.

I have run cleanup to get rid of all the temporary files and it does not seem to help the reboot problem. I am also running winpatrol.

Please advise on this. I have a copy of HijackThis.

Thanks as always for your help.

Rick :)

Advertisements

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Try booting into Safe Mode and see if the CPU usage still goes up to 100% after some time.
When you startup your computer, open task manager and monitor the processes and tell which one goes to 100% usage.

RickMath

RickMath

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
Still happens in Safe Mode. The system idle process seems to be consuming at 98%.

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

The system idle process seems to be consuming at 98%.

That is a good thing... your computer seems to be functioning fine. The System Idle Process will be "consuming" near 98-99% when your computer is idle... the higher the % of this process, that is the % of your processor that is idle (ie. if my idle process is consuming 85% of my CPU, that means that 885% of my CPU is idle, or not processing anything.)

Do you notice "slowness" of opening programs in Safe Mode? Give some examples of your problems... when was the last time you reinstalled Windows?

RickMath

RickMath

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
The problem seemed to go away over the weekend. Then this morning it reappeared. There was a process call ccSvc32.exe taking up 99%.

I rebooted and after waiting a long time for the system to start, the above process was not listed.

I will reboot in safe mode if it reappears. Also I am not sure how to reinstall windows. My computer cam with it preinstalled and a windows CD was not included.

Hopefully this helps to isolate the problem.

Thanks.

RickMath

RickMath

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
Now a process named ccSvcHst.exe is tying the system up.

I rebooted in Safe Mode and that process does not seem to be running.

Just thought I would send an update.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try this...Right click on my computer...then properties..

Click on the ...Hardware tab then the ...Device Manager... click the + beside IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers ...right click on each Primary and Secondary IDE channel choose ...Properties... click...Advanced Settings..tab. and list what you find as the Current Transfer Mode for each device listed for each channel...
if any are in PIO mode...
EXAMPLE ..the Primary IDE channel shows its in PIO mode

Right click on the Primary IDE channel and choose ...Uninstall.......Accept the change...then reboot let Windows reinstall the channel and the devices assigned to it ...IMPORTANT.. then reboot again

Should the channel go back to the PIO setting again in the future it indicates a problem with your hard drive. You must keep your backups current ... I highly recommend keeping FREQUENT backups anyway...just in case your hard drive fails....
it also wouldn't hurt to run chkdsk /r

RickMath

RickMath

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
I checked the settings and non are indicated to be PIO.

I cannot seem to run chkdsk. I get a msg that the volume is in use.

This seems to be a problem with a NAV file called ccsvchst.exe

edge2022

edge2022

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts
Remove Norton and all your problems will go away.
Replace with Avast Home: http://www.avast.com...avast-home.html
Comodo Firewall: http://personalfirew...d_firewall.html (install the firewall only, NOT the Anti Virus)
MalwareBytes: http://www.malwarebytes.org (Run a quick scan once a week)
SuperAntiSpyware: http://www.superantispyware.com/ (Run once a week)

Also what is the make (Dell, HP, etc.) of this computer?

Edited by edge2022, 28 September 2009 - 04:45 PM.

RickMath

RickMath

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
I am sure that trashing NAV may help but I am not ready to do that yet. Maybe this will help others see how to solve the problem.

Meanwhile I have disalbed the automatice updates from Norton and things seem to be OK. I still think that in reading entries on other sites that there could be a trojan hiding. I would like to know how to check for that.

Maybe it's a Norton problem as they seem to want to update my definitions many times per day. I can't believe that they actually develop new definitions and send them out several times each hour. It seems that every time this happens and I check NAV the definitions have been updated within minutes.

Rick

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Meanwhile I have disalbed the automatice updates from Norton and things seem to be OK.

APPEARS YOU FOUND THE PROBLEM BUT ARE NOT GOING TO FIX IT...kind of like wearing a raincoat with holes all over it
none of the staff here use or recommend norton and most all of us are IN the computer business...you should ask yourself "why is that"

I still think that in reading entries on other sites that there could be a trojan hiding. I would like to know how to check for that.

Please go to Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide...
HERE....

That will help you clean up 80 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty (and you may not be) follow the instructions start a new topic
here
post the OTListIt2 and Rooter logs ...
The "Topic Title" should contain the name of the infection that you are having a problem with...Use the "Topic Description" to include more details. This will help you get faster responses as some people are more familiar with certain infections....

if you are unable to download or run ANY of the tools...try downloading them on another computer and put them on a flash drive or cd and try installing them that way..
no joy...
start a new topic and let them know you can't run any of the tools..