Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

transfer the whole drive

• Please log in to reply

jr chambers

jr chambers

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
ok, new build, gonna put vista on it, but, i'd like to take EVERYTHING from the old drive to the new drive-short of installing the drive in the case, don't think the files wizard will do it, i have xp loaded on both desktops, the new drive is an sata drive (500gb), and the old is and ide(320gb) and all i want to do is make the new drive the replacement-with everything on it- into the new pc and then install vista. as most know, to much to want to move manually.i don't have the option in xp to transfer using the home or small network as that option is grayed out. for me to do a direct cable should that be with a usb cable fire wire or what, tried the lan port-i don't know on that :) using a cat5 cable and it(the wizard)never saw it, i don't have any double end usb cables(are they out there?). please help.
joel

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Unless you have a Vista upgrade disk and licence, the new drive will be wiped anyway so it's pointless cloning it over.

jr chambers

jr chambers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
"Unless you have a Vista upgrade disk and licence, the new drive will be wiped anyway so it's pointless cloning it over.:
"
HUH? I have the vista upgrade and want to install it to the new drive (but have all the old stuff-off said old drive on it)
joel

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
That's fine, you can upgrade with it.

One of the better cloning programs is Norton Ghost, and a guide to it is here:
http://ghost.radified.com/

jr chambers

jr chambers

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
thanks for the info, now if i already have windows loaded on my new drive and want to "ghost" the old drive, do i need to erase the new drive and start over with cloning the drive then load the other stuff-drivers for the new motherboard?
joel

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
You need do nothing with the new drive. Ghost will do it all for you.

You do realise if the motherboards are significantly different Windows XP may not boot on the new machine? If that's the case you'd have to repair the XP, then do an upgrade to Vista from that.