Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IBM Thinkpad R52 1860. Bunch of missing controller devices.

• Please log in to reply

Cronoisme

Cronoisme

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have an IBM think Pad r52 1860. Ive tried to download the drivers for the following devices off the ibm website and they still dont work. And im 110% sure im downloading the correct drivers.

The drivers that dont work are for the following

The multimedia audio controller
The Network controller
The PCI Modem
The Video Controller
The Video Controller VGA (compatible)

Now i dont really care about anything else besides the audio to be honest. I just want sound to be able to work on my laptop. Ive formatted my laptop before and installede the drivers off the IBM website with no problem. But when i formatted a second time and tried to install the same drivers it wouldnt install them. Or it instlals but it says that im still missing all those thins in the device manager. Any suggestions?

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,

Can you post a screenshot of Device manager. I want to see what items have yellow or red marks. By the way, did you actually run the setup to install the drivers, or did you just download and "uncompress" the files to your hard drive. Some people don't know that they sometimes need to go to the folder that holds the uncompressed files and actually run the setup.

Just a note... Thinkpads have a "hidden" recovery partition if the installation was done with the original Thinkpad cds. This partition is accessible during boot up by hitting the blue Access IBM key. If the Thinkpad cd's weren't used, then the hidden partition won't be there. However, it still might be there, depending on whether or not the hard drive was completely reformatted or replaced. When Thinkpads leave the factory, the recovery partition is installed, so if the drive is the original drive (and hasn't been reformatted), then the partition might still be there. Using the partition will bring the laptop back to factory condition and will wipe all user data... so use with caution.

Cronoisme

Cronoisme

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Heres that snap shot you wanted. And the first time i formatted all i had to do was download it and it was an .exe file. And id double click on it and it would install and the sound worked. but this time that isnt happening

Cronoisme

Cronoisme

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Sorry heres the screen shot.

Attached Thumbnails

• untitled.JPG

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
A lot of drivers you download from the manufactures site do not install automatically. Thinkpads (I own 4 of them) drivers normally extract to various folders. If you read the readme for the audio driver for the R52, it states...

Upgrading or reinstall:
Note: Remove any previously installed driver using the uninstall step
in the next section.

1. Start Windows and log on with the user ID authorized as
an administrator for Windows 2000/XP.
2. Extract this package onto the hard drive.
3. Click Start, then click Run.
4. Type C:\DRIVERS\WIN\AUDIO\SETUP.EXE in the Open box and click OK.
5. If the dialog box appears, select Reinstall or Update and then
click Next.
6. Click Finish to reboot the system and complete the installation.

Line 4 indicates that the downloaded file extracted to C:\DRIVERS\WIN\AUDIO folder. The setup.exe is located in this folder and needs to be executed manually. Follow what's quoted and see if it helps for the audio, and other drivers you download. Note that the other drivers may extract to different folders, so be sure to read the readme file that's downloaded with the driver, or on the Lenovo website.

Cronoisme

Cronoisme

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hey thanks alot Makai It worked. I guess I should of read the readme file.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Well, I'm glad you got it going! Take care!

pichaliiin

pichaliiin

• Pip
  • 1 posts

A lot of drivers you download from the manufactures site do not install automatically. Thinkpads (I own 4 of them) drivers normally extract to various folders. If you read the readme for the audio driver for the R52, it states...

Upgrading or reinstall:
Note: Remove any previously installed driver using the uninstall step
in the next section.

1. Start Windows and log on with the user ID authorized as
an administrator for Windows 2000/XP.
2. Extract this package onto the hard drive.
3. Click Start, then click Run.
4. Type C:\DRIVERS\WIN\AUDIO\SETUP.EXE in the Open box and click OK.
5. If the dialog box appears, select Reinstall or Update and then
click Next.
6. Click Finish to reboot the system and complete the installation.

Line 4 indicates that the downloaded file extracted to C:\DRIVERS\WIN\AUDIO folder. The setup.exe is located in this folder and needs to be executed manually. Follow what's quoted and see if it helps for the audio, and other drivers you download. Note that the other drivers may extract to different folders, so be sure to read the readme file that's downloaded with the driver, or on the Lenovo website.

Signed up only to thank you, I would never have thought of that, so thanks a loooot !!! :thumbsup:

Edited by pichaliiin, 21 April 2013 - 09:40 AM.