Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Automatic updates fails to enable in services

• Please log in to reply

whittakerjr

whittakerjr

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
Windows XP Home with service pack 3, running McAfee. Connection is Cable, applications used are web based.

McAfee states I have NTOSKRNL-HOOK. The system performance has deminished with issues of pop ups and web pages launching on their own. Also, audio ads playing out of nowhere.

We began with printing the Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide and following it line by line. First issue came up at Restore Point - dialog box stated we need .Net Frame. We just skipped that issue (No Restore Point)

Next issue was at Malwarebutes - loading took a really long time 30 plus minutes. We canceled the first install after about 20 min. thinking it got hung. Downloaded the exe again and retried again. It appeared to have installed, however the application will not launch.

We are using McAfee and to our knowledge it is up-to-date. We are cycling daily with the server and the status shows Protected.

We have finally given it, it is early AM and we can not get the Windows Update to function. The warning is Services Automatic updates needs to be enable. We enable it manually, and it drops back to disabled as soon as we launch the Update request.

I guess I am stopping here in hopes that we can get this much cleared up before moving forward.

Thanks
Joseph

Advertisements

n3ko

n3ko

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Hi there! :)

This is definitely virus/malware activity. You're posting in the wrong board - no one can give malware and virus removal instructions except for the techs specifically trained and certified to do so.

Go to the ->Virus, Spyware and Trojan Removal<- forum and post all of this there. Use a title similar to "Cannot run any scans".

No worries, I've seen them fix worse. :)