Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Is my hard drive working?

• Please log in to reply

eagle99

eagle99

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hello.
I am putting together a new system.
I have attached the cpu, mem, psu etc.
I have the following mb and cpu:
ASRock G31M-S LGA 775
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3320418AS 320GB

When I turn the system on the hard drive makes a few clicking sounds then is silent.
When windows setup loads it says that no drives are found.
the SATA cable is connected to the board and to the hard drive.
Are there any other setting I should be using, or is the hard drive just not working.

Thanks.

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
ftp://174.142.97.10/manual/G31M-S.pdf

Page 42, under boot configurations in your BIOS. (Consult your motherboard if you don't know how to get to the BIOS)

1. Do you have the Boot Priority set correctly? CD ROM should be first(or sometimes it will have the actual name of your cd/dvd player) Then, put your hard drive second, just for now. You are trying to boot from the CD, not the hard drive. See?

2. On that same page shown in your manual, see where it says "Hard Drives"? Press Enter there, on the next page it should list your hard drive. If not, your hard drive is dead.

You have plugged the power cable into the hard drive right? You need the SATA cable and the power cable from your power supply. Also, if that clicking noise is fairly loud, that is not normal. It should sound somewhat smooth, with some tics here and there, but not very loud.

Let me know... :)

Edited by Ferrari, 25 September 2009 - 07:24 AM.

eagle99

eagle99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
I believe I have all the connections correct. It's just power from psu and SATA from mother board, right?
I have the dvd to boot first. In BIOS no Hard drive shows up.
Blah.
I guess it's dead.
Thanks for your help and quick response.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Yeah, if it's not showing up in the BIOS, it's dead. I have heard nothing but bad things about the .12 series of those Seagates.

I recommend Western Digital until they can get there act together. Here is the one I used on my parents build, and I couldn't be more happier with it.

WD Caviar Blue 7200 RPM, 16mb cache

If you bought from Newegg, I'm pretty sure they will let you put the credit towards a WD and ditch the sale on the Seagate.

Good luck! :)

EDIT: And to fully answer you question about "are there any other settings" in regards to the hard drives, yes there are. IF, and I say IF you are using VISTA or WINDOWS 7, in the BIOS, be sure to set the hard drive mode to ACPI and not IDE before you install windows. IDE will work, but you will not get the full potential out of your hard drive. ACPI in so many words is "SATA MODE". This will not work in XP unless you do certain other advanced things. Hope that helps.

Edited by Ferrari, 25 September 2009 - 12:48 PM.

eagle99

eagle99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Thanks for the advise. I just called them (newegg) and they will be refunding the money.
So you recommend Western Digital? Are the larger size drives reliable (i have this fear that the larger the drive the more unstable it is)?
Thanks.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
No, I don't think the larger drives are unstable at all. I use the 640GB Western Digital Caviar Black which has more cache, 32mb in my personal rig and I'm very happy with it.

Take a look of a video I made of it in action on my i7 rig.

Caviar Black Benchmark