Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DHCP Hyper activity

• Please log in to reply

sewerwisp

sewerwisp

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I did the unthinkable, stupidly downloading a Macromedia Flash "update", and of course it was a Trojan/Malware/etc. I fired up all my Anti's and gazintas. Zone labs, Stopzilla, Prev, Hijack this, OTL, Spybot, all went to work and now the computer runs fine again, except for one thing. I noticed that the incoming packet and outgoing packet indicator by the Zone labs icon in the taskbar was suddenly going nuts, gonzo. Way too much going out and coming in when doing nothing. I went into MSCONFIG and started eliminating services to see where it is coming from and
it is coming from DHCP client, which I need to connect to the internet. I am going direct from LAN on back of my computer, to my Westell network modem, and it works OK, but sometimes has difficulty connecting to the net, presumably because of the heavy packet traffic. My system simple for a simple fellow:
P4M80-M4 SOCKET 478
Chipset:
VIA P4M800 / VT8237
P4 Intel 2.67 ghz
512 mb RAM

Seagate Barracuda 7200 80 Gb
Windows XP 5.1.2600 service pack 3 bld 2600
Westell b90 - 210014 - 04 MODEM

I ran the ANTI programs again and they all found some things, with DHCP client now turned on, things have quieted down. Before, I would leave the modem hooked up, all services on, and just sitting on the desktop, not even with an IE browser window up, just connected to the net, I would get as much as 41 million in and out withing an hour or so. Even if I disconnected the phone line, this traffic was just between
the computer and the modem.
Now, after the second run of malware programs, after 15 minutes, only 17,000 out, and less than 100 received. This copuld be zone labs and Prev or Stopzilla battling each other, I will uninstall the last two after I solve this problem. Do I have a problem? Would appreciate some help, I am a networking beginner. I have built 6 computers in my life, have two others on the net, through simple USB modems that work fine.

Edited by sewerwisp, 25 September 2009 - 08:51 AM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
Please read the Malware/Spyware cleaning guide here follow the instructions at the top....

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty (and you may not be) then post an OTL log in THE MALWARE FORUM forum.
(Posting OTL logs or ANY other logs requested in the malware/spyware cleaning guide in any other forum other than the malware forum is forbidden. If you post any of these logs in any other forum, it will be removed and it will take you longer to get help, so please make sure you only post logs in the malware forum)

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread..