Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to expand the range of my wireless network?

• Please log in to reply

sarahd711

sarahd711

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
My college roommates and I have a house in Philadelphia that is very big and very old. I set up a wireless network so that we didn't have wires going all over the place (and so the internet service provider didn't charge us a fortune). The router is set-up on the second floor of the house towards the back. My roommate on the third floor towards the front gets no signal. So I bought a repeater, the Linksys WRE54G. I spent hours trying to set it up but since it is not compatible with the WPA2 security on the router, I haven't been able to set it up. I tried searching Google for help and read almost every article, tried everything, and still had no luck.

I don't have more time to waste on this thing, so I am looking for any other ways to expand my wireless network. I had a few questions.

Is setting up an access point similar to setting up the range expander? i.e., would it do the same job? Also, does it require running a wire or can it be done wirelessly so that I could put it closer to my roommates room?

Or, should I replace the router I currently have, which is wireless G, to a wireless N router? I'm curious about the differences between these two, i.e., does wireless N have greater range?

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Wireless N is an option but you need Wireless N capable hardware as well.

With regards to expanding wireless networks, wireless access points work by you running a cable from the router to the point. You then log your laptop or whatever onto the access point as opposed to the router.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

So I bought a repeater, the Linksys WRE54G. I spent hours trying to set it up but since it is not compatible with the WPA2 security on the router, I haven't been able to set it up. I tried searching Google for help and read almost every article, tried everything, and still had no luck.

you could reduce the security on the router from WPA2 to WEP or just WPA...WPA2 (i believe) is more secure...but it takes a bit of intent to get through WEP or WPA

sarahd711

sarahd711

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 61 posts
dsenette:

I realized I could try reducing security from WPA2 to WEP, and I actually did give it a go. I forget exactly what happened but it was unsuccessful.

Do you know where I could find a reliable, accurate description for setting up this repeater?

Neil Jone:

Would I just be running a CAT5 from router to access point?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Network cable to the access point, yes.
Or you could tie this in with some Homeplugs, save running network cable around the skirting board. Then you can just do this:

Router -> Homeplug. Homeplug somewhere else providing it's on the same ring circuit as the first one -> Wireless access point.

Laptop -> wireless connect to access point.

Repeat as required, bearing in mind the access points will show up as one big network, plus if you have enough of them around your laptop(s) will join onto the nearest one just like your mobile phone does if you use it while moving across a long stretch.