Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Question about a wireless net work and Hooking up a Harddrive to it

• Please log in to reply

Chefmike87

Chefmike87

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi i was thinking about buy the

Iomega 1TB Home Media Network Hard Drive
Specs here
Iomega

and i was wondering if anyone could shed any light on it, we have a wireless Lynksis network and i was wondering how and if it would hook up to it

Thank you,
Mike

Advertisements

Pizzado

Pizzado

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I looked at the Linksys website and all of the wireless routers I checked have hardwired ethernet ports in addition to the wirelss antennas. Since the Iomega Network Hard drive also has a wired ethernet port, I would assume that you could just plug directly into the router and it will work. However, having no experience at all with network storage devices, I do not know if there is any software setup required, or how easy it might be.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
your best bet is to do as pizzado suggested and just hardwire the network drive directly into the router

Chefmike87

Chefmike87

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
ok i was just trying to make sure the hard drive i buy is the right one or that it works with the lynksys

Chefmike87

Chefmike87

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
i guess the real question is would the, Iomega 1TB Home Media Network Hard Drive, work with my lynksis router

and is it a plug and play such as plugging it into the router and setting up permisions

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it should be compatible...all it is is a hard drive with a network card (basically)

you'll have to read the documentation that comes with the drive to know how to set it up...but it should be pretty straight forward

Chefmike87

Chefmike87

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
ok thanks for your help