Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer wont stop freezing

• Please log in to reply

skrinkles

skrinkles

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
please somebody help me :) , my comp wont stop freezing i go on sites like facebook , myspace, etc and it freezes then i hate to move the mouse and hit it on the table to help unfreeze weather this does help i dont know , i cant listen to my music and use yahoo messenger at the same time , i cant even use my webcam and look at someones else at the same time without it freezing i cant watch videos on youtube and stuff i used to be able to , i have old progs that seem to be stuck on here that no matter what i cant get rid of inc crap that i probley have d/led like ages ago that i dont even remember d.ling in the first place i cant update my windows live messenger cuz my previous one i cant delete plus my Hard drive no matter what i do i cant get any room back and its close to being full , i clean up my files , do defrag and still nothing , please help me plus in my BDOSCAN8 folder i see emalware and spyware i dont know if that has anything to do with it ,and how do i get rid of it? ive used malwarebytes and ive done a bunch of stuff that like scans that another tech member suggested and my logs are clean but all i want is my comp to stop freezing and work normally again cuz i cant take it anymore im very close to just throwing this comp out my window :)

Advertisements

n3ko

n3ko

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Hi skrinkles! Posted Image

So you've been to the Virus and Malware Removal Board? And you've been given a clean bill of health? Please post a link to the thread? <- Found and Read it, nevermind. :)

What are your computer specs, please? Make and model? What Operating System, are you running? XP? Vista? Do you have an install disk or Recovery Disks?
Please correct me if I'm wrong - Computer was custom made for you by a person you're out of touch with now. You have no recover or install disks, and you're running XP Pro. You have 512 Mb of RAM.
Can you please let me know the size of your Hard Drive and also how much space is left on it? Right Click on your C: drive and select Properties to find this out.

Have you gotten any Blue Screens Of Death, or has your computer randomly rebooted at times?

You shouldn't use messenger - it's not very secure. If you go on Facebook and such pages, it's best not to use Explorer for a browser. These programs are easily gotten around to infect your computer, and that may be a large part of what started this to begin with. Facebook itself is often crawling with nasty scripts and bugs...

Don't worry, we can rebuild you. :)

Edited by n3ko, 25 September 2009 - 02:05 PM.

skrinkles

skrinkles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
yep thats right i have no disks or nothin, says my Hd if im correct is 18.6GB and i have 5.93Gb left so ive used it says 12.6Gb , nope no blue screens of death and my comp hasnt randomly rebooted :)

n3ko

n3ko

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
That's good news.

Small Hard Drive though.

Couple more questions for you:

When you say you "deleted" programs but they're still showing up, how did you go about deleting them? Did you uninstall them through "Add and Remove Programs" or just delete shortcuts and .exe files?

Do you have a CD burner or some other way of backing up your files to storage off of your hard drive, and if so have you done this? If yes, do you still have those files on your computer as well as backed up?

Are you able to buy new hardware, should you need it? You almost definitely need more RAM, for instance, and this is very likely part of the problems you're having, but if your Hard Drive is dying you may need a new one - which also means you'll need to buy one with an image or get a windows install disk as well. Regardless, that's an awfully small hard drive, and to get the best performance you really should get a bigger one.

That's not to say we can't do our best to get your current drive working as it used to, we should be able to get things performing well again for the time being assuming the freezing isn't an issue with the hard drive starting to fail. :)

skrinkles

skrinkles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
i mostly deleted them through add/remove but some i might have just deleted the exe. and shortcuts , yea i have a cd burner which i have burned off music and files and pix but not latley because i have no blank disks , but even when i delete stuff my hd still stays the same , well as of right now i cant afford to buy any new things for my comp i wish i could, im just hoping my hd isnt dying though :)

n3ko

n3ko

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Well, you should definitely get some disks. You'll need at least one to burn a diagnostic disk to check your drive. We won't know until we test it, but it could certainly be something else.

When you say your drive doesn't change at all after you delete something, you mean the file still shows on the srive as there? Or the size just doesn't change? Or both?

Let's start with your temporary files. Have you used a file cleaner like ATF to clean them out before at all? I did see that you've run defrag, but I didn't see you mention that yet.

skrinkles

skrinkles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
yea i used the TFC i think its called ? its the one that shows up as a garbage can as an icon, i d/ed it from the site here and yes when i delete stuff my hd doesnt move meaning it still says its basically full so the size doesnt change

n3ko

n3ko

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
OK, well we need to see what files are taking up room on your computer then.

Go to:
Start -> Search Click on All Files and Folders and type:
~*.tmp

Let me know if it comes up with any files. Also, if it does, you can try and delete them - you won't need them.

When you're done, download SpaceMonger (thanks to makai). Extract it to any folder you like and run.

Do a screen shot of what it comes up with - if the initial image is collapsed into a small section, double click it and it should expand to fill a window. Attach the screen shot you make here, when you post to let me know about what your search found.

Finally, run chkdsk:
Go To: Start -> My Computer
Right Click on C: drive and select Properties
Select the Tools tab and in the Error Checking box click on Check Now
A dialog will come up. Select Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors and click Start.
It will tell you you need to reboot - allow it to.
Let Chkdsk run - it will probably take a while - 45 minutes or more.

When the system boots up again, let me know if it seems any better.
Hopefully I'll have gotten a look at the screenshot by then. :)

If you need instructions on how to make a screenshot, just let me know.

Edited by n3ko, 25 September 2009 - 08:56 PM.

skrinkles

skrinkles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
ok here the space monger thing

untitled.JPG

and as far as disk chek goes it gets to phase 1 scans gets to phase 2 and says it cant complete it or something like that all i know is it wont get past phase 2 and phase 2 wont scan

oh as for the files that came up there was like 8 or so and they all start with D and they say local settings/Temp

n3ko

n3ko

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Good morning Shrinkles. :)

Hmmm, do you have SoulSeek on your computer? It's file in My Documents is taking up a huge amount of space, and could be part of the problem here...

ChkDsk won't or can't complete? Does it actually throw this message up to you or is it just hanging for a long time and not seeming to show any progress?

If it is giving you that message, please try again to duplicate it and write down the exact message and any numbers it has in it. Post the message, I need to know the exact words.

Definitely most of the space issue here is in your personal files and documents. Can you get to a local drug store or something and get a small spindle of CDs - maybe 10 - 15 of them? you need to back up anything (music, documents etc) that is not already backed up. I want to try cleaning out all the files from your documents entirely, this could make a big, big difference.

Also, we need to get you some bootable programs (they're free downloads) and you'll need the disks to burn them and boot from them in order to use them.

The Temp files you found - did you try and delete them at all?

OK, one last thing for this post. :)
Make some screen shots of your msconfig startups:
Go to:
Start -> Run type:
msconfig hit enter.
A box will come up. Click on the Startup tab. Don't touch anything else in msconfig!
Take a screenshot of that screen. Chances are you'll need to pan down a couple of times with the scrollbar and take a few shots to get everything. Please do that and post all of them. Then close out msconfig by hitting "OK" or "Cancel".
Please make sure you don't make any changes at this time. :)

Advertisements

skrinkles

skrinkles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Good afternoon N3ko :)
here is my misconfig screen shot

misconfig.JPG

yes i do have soulseek , i also have itunes which im not using currently because i dont have my ipod with me so im thinking of deleting it, ok as for check disk , it got to phase 4 then it said check disk is complete it never said anything about rebooting though
also in space monger will i be able to delete stuck programs out from there and im seeing stuff like videos,that were deleted and old progs for a mp3 player that my sister had on here cuz we used to share this comp , as for the blank discs i'll be able to pick some up this friday coming , the temp files i found i was able to delete like 3 i think and the others come up as "Cannot delete access denied make sure disk is not full or write protected and the file is not currently in use"

n3ko

n3ko

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
OK, so those files are probably in use since you're logged in. No worries there, and the ones you deleted are good.

Well, chkdsk got to step 4 this time, that's good. But did it run while you were still in windows? It didn't prompt you to reboot after checking "Scan and Recover Bad Sectors"? It shouldn't be able to run that kind of scan with the OS running, you should have to reboot and it will run the scan before loading XP.

Did you say before that you tried to uninstall iTunes and it wouldn't let you? If not, try and uninstall it now from "Add Remove Programs"

I would highly recommend you uninstall SoulSeeker. At least for the time being. P2P programs are a big security risk and you can end up with really bad infections because of them. You can always install it again another time, if you really want it, but having it right now is not a good idea. From the looks of things, you may free up some space if it uninstalls well, too.

You should be able to delete files with SpaceMonger. Click the file you want to select it, then click on delete. It should be moved to the recycle bin. Once you're done, empty your recycle bin. Give it a try, and if any "Cannot Delete File" messages pop up, write them down exactly and let me know what they are.

Be careful doing this. Only choose music, video or document files like word or excel etc - things from the "My Documents" folder. Don't try and delete anything from a Windows or Program Files folder.

You mention you and your sister shared the computer. Did you share a user account, or is there more than one user account on this system?

Not much in startups. I really don't see any system files here - is the account you're in the administrator account, or is there a separate administrator account?

In MS Config:

Do you have Nero on your computer? The NeroCheck file worries me, it seems to be in System32. Do you have HijackThis on your computer? If not, download the installer Here and install. Run the program, click on Scan and Save a Logfile. Save the log somewhere easy to find - I always save it to my desktop. Change the file extension to .txt and attach it here - don't copy and paste it.

Are you still using Roger's Service Point? It seems to be on your computer. I've heard mixed things about this scanner and it's perhaps not the best to have and could be hogging resources. Is this one you've tried to uninstall?

After saving the HijackThis logfile, uncheck the following in msconfig startup:
NeroCheck
LVCOMS
jusched
qttask (this one may pop back in. on reboot, check to make sure it's not enabled in msconfig again, if it is, tell me)
YAHOOM~1
TeaTimer
msmsgr

When those are de-selected, click Apply then OK and reboot your computer. When windows load, it will let you know that your startup configuration has changed. Check the box that says not to display this notice again and click OK.

Let me know if it runs a bit faster. Check msconfig again to see if any of these were somehow re-enabled and let me know if any were. :)

Edited by n3ko, 26 September 2009 - 03:10 PM.

skrinkles

skrinkles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
yes chk disk still ran when i was in windows it never prompted me to reboot or anything , the rogers stuff is the virus protection provided by my service provider, yes i have nero thats my burning program , only 1 user account that we both used, how do i check if im in the administrator account? i deleted the videos from spacemonger. now i have a bunch of stuff running in processes does that have anything to do with the comp speed? and i attached my highjackthis txt im hoping it attached , none of the programs i unchecked reanabled, no i havent tried uninstalling itunes yet, but i do have a buncha stuff that im trying to figure out how to get rid of old progs that are stuck lol , i heard that having pic's and music take up alot of hd space , i will have to burn all that stuff off once i can get some cd's this week , Soulseek is the only prog i use for d/ling music ,

Attached Files

n3ko

n3ko

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

yes chk disk still ran when i was in windows it never prompted me to reboot or anything

Interesting. We'll go back to that later. :)

the rogers stuff is the virus protection provided by my service provider

Well, it's not bad and if your service provider requires you to use it...
You should keep that startup enabled, in that case. It's to keep your real-time monitoring working.

yes i have nero thats my burning program

I use Nero too. :) good program.
That file looks not quite right from msconfig, but I don't see anything bad in the log so it should be valid. You don't need that startup for Nero to work, though. Best to leave it off startup.

only 1 user account that we both used, how do i check if im in the administrator account?

Go To:
Start -> Control Panel -> User Accounts
You should see your User account and Icon on that screen. If you have adminitrative privilages, it should say "Computer Adminitrator" under your User Name. :)

This is good, too. I was wondering if your trouble uninstalling or deleting files was because you don't have the administrator privilages or if it wasn't under your account or both. Let me know if that screen doesn't show you as being an administrator, though I'm betting it will.

i deleted the videos from spacemonger.

Excellent! And they're now deleted and not showing anymore? That's good news.

now i have a bunch of stuff running in processes does that have anything to do with the comp speed?

It can. I'll get a look through your log at your services and see what we can disable or set to manual. Then we'll look in your running processes again. :)

and i attached my highjackthis txt im hoping it attached

It did, thanks. There's some removed and dead buttons or entries here you can get rid of. I've attached a file of the items to delete with Hijack This.

Open Hijack This again, have it run a "Scan Only".
Pan down the items it lists when it's done and put a Check Mark in the boxes beside only the items listed in the file I've attached.
Close all browser windows and programs.
Click Fix Checked and if it asks if you're sure, confirm.
One it's done, Reboot.
Open Hijack This again, do another Scan and save a new Logfile. Save it and make sure it's a .txt file, then attach it here again. :)

none of the programs i unchecked reanabled

Again, excellent. :) Quick Time can be a real pest sometimes.

no i havent tried uninstalling itunes yet, but i do have a buncha stuff that im trying to figure out how to get rid of old progs that are stuck lol

OK, well if you don't use iTunes anymore, go ahead an uninstall that from "Add Remove Programs". You shouldn't really need it as any music files should be able to play in any of your media players.

We'll get to those programs soon. Want to try and get things running a bit better before we tackle cleaning out corrupted and truncated programs. Cleaning those out will be easier and go more smoothly when your computer is running better.

You also have a few toolbars and browsers you don't need, possibly clogging things up. We'll get to those too.

i heard that having pic's and music take up alot of hd space , i will have to burn all that stuff off once i can get some cd's this week , Soulseek is the only prog i use for d/ling music

:) Yep, they sure do! I clean off all the video and music files I haven't listened to on my computer every couple of weeks. I back them up to two different sources, then delete them.

Music and video files especially take up a large amount of space. Your hard drive is small and so can't take a lot of storage for those. Your operating system needs a certain amount of free space in order to run properly and to defrag etc. The problems you're having are most likely largely due to there not being enough space left on the drive - particularly the trouble defraging.

You said you've backed up a lot of stuff onto CD already - anything you have backed up, delete them now. Use SpaceMonger if you have any trouble. Also, if you have any trouble files you couldn't delete before (videos and music etc, not programs), that you haven't already deleted with SpaceMonger, get rid of those too.

As soon as you can back up the rest of them to disk, delete them from your hard drive - it will make a huge difference. Make two backups of everything in case one disk gets lost or scratched or corrupted. Think about investing in a USB Hard Drive storage eventually too. They're not very expensive and make great storage for these kinds of files.

As to SoulSeeker... That folder takes up a LOT of space in your documents. It may just be all your music files, but honestly P2P programs are dangerous - never mind the legal issues surrounding their use if you don't pay for music etc. It may be best to uninstall it just to clear it out of your system for now, and reinstall after we're done if you really want it, but the choice is completely yours. :)

Edit:
Forgot about the services. :)

Go To:
Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services
Take Screen Shots, paging down to make sure you get all of them. Post the shots. I'll research them and tell you what to do from there. :)

Attached Files

Edited by n3ko, 26 September 2009 - 06:04 PM.

skrinkles

skrinkles

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
Alrighty , yes it says Computer Administrator under my name, i attached my hijack scan #2 ,

and here are my Administrator service screenshots

sevices.JPG

services_2.JPG

services3.JPG

i have 1 more ill have to post seperatley

Attached Files