Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video motion during online gaming erratic

• Please log in to reply

7ken

7ken

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hello
I am having a problem while online gaming playing cod4 with the video motion stopping for a split second then starting back up. It will do this for approx. a minute or so. Everything will be ok for a while, then it will start all over again. It doesn't matter which server I am playing on it always does the same thing. I have installed a new hard drive, WD 1TB caviar green, video card, Asus engtx275, and new RAM, 2GB Kingston, I have formatted the HD and reinstalled the OS, XP Pro, nothing has seemed to work! My next step is going to be a new MB and CPU. I have a pretty good internet connection with download speeds at almost 6.00 Mb/s and upload of just over 1.5 Mb/s.
Posted Image
I have a good video of the gameplay while this problem is going on but I don't know how to post it. It is over 7.5 MB in size. View My Video
Thx for your help!
Forgot to mention that I am running Norton Internet Security but have all programs disabled while gaming.

Edited by 7ken, 25 September 2009 - 07:34 PM.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Not sure what to tell you since I don't do any online gaming, but it seems the freeze happens just after someone comments. Is there any way to disable comments to see if that helps the situation?

Also, you might have better luck investigating your problem at the COD4 forum as there doesn't seem to be enough people here that play this game. It really appears to be an internet connection problem, rather than hardware.

7ken

7ken

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Thanks makai, but it does it the whole length of the video not just after a comment. Is there any other internet connection test out there that can test not just speed but spikes and such?

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
I ran speedtest.net on my desktop and my results were 15.81 and 27.98 for download speeds depending on which server I chose. Upload was .98. I use road runner.

I'm don't know why your speed is only 5.85 but you might talk to your internet supplier. It might be the reason you're seeing the stuttering.

7ken

7ken

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Ok I got support from my isp. They figured out that my modem (which I purchased a year ago from them) apparently doesn't support a high enough transfer rate when using the usb connection. My ethernet adapter on my mb was fried in a thunderstorm last year which came in thru the cable, and also fried the modem. They never had a ground wire hooked to their box outside. They do now, too late. I installed an ethernet adapter that I had in my old pc. Now I am getting a higher download speed but I am still having the exact same issue.
Posted Image
They also have a ping test which measures ping, packet loss, and jitter
Posted Image

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
I don't know how this online game is setup, but if there are any video settings/parameters you can change for it, try lowering them to see what happens. Also, you should probably visit the COD forums to see if anyone is having similar problems as I'm not being of much help to you.

7ken

7ken

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Thanks makai for your suggestions. I have posted the problem on the cod forum and have not received a reply. Apparently I am the only one having this problem! I couldn't find any other topics with the same problem.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
This was posted in a forum for COD4 pausing every few seconds...

Anyway, to get to the point. Setting the TEXTURE option in the video menu to BILINEAR solved the problem for me. No pauses whatsoever, smooth game play. My card incidentally is an ASUS 7600GT.

Not sure if it'll help but you might take a look if this option is available to you.

Also, I did this search on Google for "pausing", but you might try words like "hanging", or "stalling". Sorry I'm not much help to you... but I don't game online.

7ken

7ken

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Thanks Makai,
You have certainly gone the extra mile on this subject for me! Much appreciated! I joined a different cod4 forum and could not find a similar topic. I tried setting my texture setting to bilinear but it made no difference. Oh well, I will get it figured out eventually, I'll have a new pc by the time I do, but, all is good. I think I'm going to order an ASUS P5Q Deluxe MB and a quad core cpu as soon as I save the cash for them.
Again Thank You makai

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Yah, really sorry for not being able to help more. You're definitely not alone with this problem as there are a lot of hits on google. By the way, when I search google for solutions, I normally add the word "solved" to what every I'm searching for... ie... Cod4 stuttering every few seconds solved. Sometimes adding the word "solved" to the equation will pull up hits where people have solved the problem. Unfortunately for this problem, there seems so many people who have solved the problem, but with different solutions... from reinstalling windows, to game config files, to removing other games, to drivers for audio and video. Hard to nail down with so many variables on so many machines.

The ASUS P5Q line of motherboards are good boards. I've built three systems (including the desktop I'm typing on now) with the P5Q Pro. They unfortunately discontinued making the plain-jane P5Q Pro so the last system I built for my nephew, I went with the Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R... it doesn't support Crossfire, but then I don't implement Crossfire on any machine I build. It was hard for me to change manufactures since I've been using ASUS for so many years... but actually... back when I used to use ABIT (before ASUS), I always wanted to try a Gigabyte board. That was years ago, so now I got the chance. The Gigabyte runs very smooth and I actually like it. You take your chances with any manufacture, but I think as long as you stick with the majors, you won't have problems (well, not as many, anyways!). :)

Well, good luck with solving your problem. I hope you nail it down. Please post back if you do solve it, and then edit your topic to add the word "Solved"... I'm sure it would help someone. Good luck with you new build too! :)