Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

switching to windows 7? LOSE FILES?

• Please log in to reply

nicolecolgate

nicolecolgate

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
Will I lose any files/pics/videos/favorites/etc when I switch from Vista to Windows 7? How risky is it? What do i do?

Also, how do i reformat my harddrive?

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
If you upgrade from Vista to Win 7, you won't lose any files, however....clean install is always the best option.
I'd backup all your data, I'd buy full version of Win 7 and go for clean install.

nicolecolgate

nicolecolgate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
what is clean install? why is it the best?
whats the best way to backup all my data?
i am using Dell's upgrade method...

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
For data backup, I'd recommend this: http://www.fpnet.fr/...ection=software
Anything not listed there, you'll have to back up manually.

Clean install is where you have full version CD/DVD of some Windows version. You use that disk to format the hard drive and you install fresh copy of Windows.

nicolecolgate

nicolecolgate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
what are other methods of installing windows 7? and why are they not good?
i am getting Dell's free upgrade... is that good?

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You're all set then.
You put upgrade DVD in and your Vista will be upgraded to Win 7.
Your data will be safe.

nicolecolgate

nicolecolgate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
i dont think its with a DVD
i think you do it online
are you sure my data will be safe?
this isnt clean though? so its not good?

what are other methods of installing windows 7? and why are they not good?

Makaveli213

Makaveli213

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • MVP
This is the upgrade. It could be done online just as much as it could be done via the DVD. It all depends on what Dell does. They may choose to ship out the media, they may not. It is up to them.

A clean install is where you format the hard drive, basically erase all information on there, and then install the Operating System with nothing on the drive. It is the best method as you are starting fresh.

A upgrade is bad because if there are any problems with your current install, they only get compounded when you upgrade and it could easily cause a bad experience with the new upgraded OS.

So if you are experiencing any issues at all right now, best to resolve them before you start the upgrade.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
https://win7.dell.com/

Customers that purchased select Dell™ systems are eligible to register and receive an upgrade to Windows® 7. Please visit the link at the bottom of the page for more detail on eligibility requirements.

To notify Dell of your interest in the upgrade, you will need to register by providing details on your system and setting up an account. When Windows® 7 is available, you will receive an e-mail requesting that you log into your account and place your order. Dell will use your email address to send status updates to keep you informed of your upgrade registration and order.

Note that a DVD drive will be required for installation of the upgrade.

Tax, shipping and handling charges may apply at the time of order placement, and if so, a credit card will be required for payment.

nicolecolgate

nicolecolgate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
so what do i do when i want to install with Dell's method?
What is my best plan of action? specifically?
Thanks

Makaveli213

Makaveli213

• PipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • MVP
Your best plan of action will be to do what is right for you and your setup. Do you have a backup of all your files? Are you confident that you can restore them after the install? Would you know how to do a fresh install using the Upgrade Media if necessary?

These are things that need to be thought of before trying to say "Yes format and fresh install". If you are not confident in doing any or all of this, then stick with the upgrade.

nicolecolgate

nicolecolgate

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
what if i am confidence?
then what? what do i do exactly?