Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to delete multiple operating systems

• Please log in to reply

flash793

flash793

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I recently had a virus so then I had to reformat my whole computer. After that I installed Windows XP Professional and ended up with 2 operating systems. Later then I didn't like it so installed Windows XP Home edition. Then I had 3 and my Hard disk drive was almost out of space. It was only 4.19 GB and I had about 100 MB left. So I want to delete both of my XP professionals and keep my Home edition one.
Please help!

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Hi flash793 and welcome to Geeks to Go.

First, I assume that you have all the data and settings you need for the XP home. In other words you do not have anything on the XP pro systems.

Next, we need to look at the boot.ini file so that we can tell you which ones to delete.
Go to start
Go to control panel
Go to system properties
Go to the advanced tab
Under startup and recovery....click on settings
Click on edit...a notepad window will open.
Paste all of the info in your next response.

NOTE: The best way is to do a complete reformat and reload of the XP home operating system. That way you will start with a clean registry.

123runner

flash793

flash793

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I think you meant " My computer " but anyways here =D
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect