Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP/Network Help

• Please log in to reply

Particle_girl

Particle_girl

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am hoping someone can help me, please. OS is WIN XP (Pro-I believe).

First a little background on the situation, this is not my computer, it belongs to a friend and the PC is at her house, so I don't have immediate access to answer any questions, sorry! Friend has had computers for many years, never, and I mean never, uses AV software. I did download & install AVG a couple of times for her, she doesn't update. A few years ago, after spending an entire day at her house reinstalling WIN 98 and all of her programs, she got another virus (I had been able to clean up her previous viruses with tools from the internet) she decided to chuck the old PC and purchase a new one.

This newer PC had another virus, she called me to help and I told her that I could no longer help her with viruses because she doesn't run AV software. As a result, she re-installed her OS and purchased McAfee and installed it.
However, her reinstallation doesn't recognize her NIC card. I looked at it last night briefly, checked all the connections, looked at the hardware and there is absolutely nothing there.

How do I get her OS to recognize the NIC card? I realize this is more difficult since the PC is not at my house, but across town, so I am looking for several suggestions to take with me. I assume that I can also download a program to run on her PC that can tell me what kind of NIC card she has? I can download drivers from my PC to my flash and take them over to her home and install if that will work? I can and will get more info at your request, it will just take a bit of time to do that. Thank you for you help!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
you need to find out what kind of NIC it is then go to the manufacturer's website and download the drivers (to a cd or usb drive) then install them on her computer...if it's a name brand computer go to that company's website to get the driver

Edit: just noticed that you know that's what you want to do...but don't know how to figure out what nic it is...go to our downloads section (download button at the top of the forum) then go to the hardware tools section and get everest...install it and run it then look through the report for the NIC info

Particle_girl

Particle_girl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you so much, DSenette! I thought that is what I needed to do, and was interested in finding a program to to detect what NIC card it is. :)

Edited for punctuation

Edited by Particle_girl, 28 September 2009 - 11:29 AM.