Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP won't access system restore points

• Please log in to reply

GrandmaGeek

GrandmaGeek

• Pip
  • 5 posts
For some reason, when I use the System Restore Wizard it goes through all the processes, shuts down, then boots back up and I get a message saying the restore point I chose did not set. I've tried five different restore points so far. And, I made sure when I click on the restore point calendar that it's an actual restore point and not some other update. How do I get this thing to do a restore point?

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,

Sometimes Restore points get corrupted. It's not unusual. Is there a reason why you're trying to restore your computer? Having any major problems?

GrandmaGeek

GrandmaGeek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
No major problems really. My computer did freeze up and some of my program settings got lost and it boots up a little different - I get a password screen that I never got before. But, I just click OK, without a password, and it keeps booting up. In the past, going to a restore point has always fixed those sort of things when I had a little computer hick-up like that. I ran MBAM and my anti-virus and didn't find any problems. There's a lot I don't know about how to redo program settings so I was hoping for a quick and easy fix, I guess. Oh well, thanks for the response.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

I get a password screen that I never got before. But, I just click OK, without a password, and it keeps booting up.

Have you installed any recent programs like .netframework 1.1? Sometimes .net will create a new user account called ASPNET. This sometimes causes the symptoms you're seeing with the log on page showing up.

You can also read THIS page to see if it will help with the logon issue.

GrandmaGeek

GrandmaGeek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I'm thinking I've seen .netframework in the windows updates. So, maybe that's what's going on with the password thingy. Thanks for the link. I'll be sure to look it over.

Ah, your pic makes me miss Hawaii. I used to be in Aiea :>

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Try system restore in Safe Mode.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

I'm thinking I've seen .netframework in the windows updates. So, maybe that's what's going on with the password thingy. Thanks for the link. I'll be sure to look it over.

Ah, your pic makes me miss Hawaii. I used to be in Aiea :>

Yes, do check out the link and let us know if it resolved your problem.

Aiea?! Are you originally from Hawaii?

GrandmaGeek

GrandmaGeek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I'll be checking out the link today and I'll check out the safe mode thing too. In the mean time I've developed another problem. I keep getting an "invalid configuration error" on boot up. My son walked me through setup on the phone and we noticed that the date consistently reverts back to November 2001 so, he suggested I might need a cmos battery but he doesn't think that has anything to do with the restore points. (He helps when he can. My neighbor used to do a lot of this for me but she's unavailable too right now so, I'm trying to learn :> I might be here a lot.)

No, not originally from Hawaii. My uncle had a place there years ago and I got to be a beach bum for a couple of years. I'd love to retire there, if I can.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

I'll be checking out the link today and I'll check out the safe mode thing too. In the mean time I've developed another problem. I keep getting an "invalid configuration error" on boot up. My son walked me through setup on the phone and we noticed that the date consistently reverts back to November 2001 so, he suggested I might need a cmos battery but he doesn't think that has anything to do with the restore points.

Your son is probably correct about the battery as the date being wrong is a symptom of a dead battery. Whether it could affect System restore, I've not heard of it, but then I've never thought of it either since I never ran into someone whose battery died the same time they were trying to restore. It does make sense though that Windows wouldn't know what date it was if the date was incorrect to begin with, so it's highly possible the wrong date is affecting your restoration.

<snip>... I'd love to retire there, if I can.

My exact plan! :)

GrandmaGeek

GrandmaGeek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
:)

OK, I replaced the battery and the date is stable in the, er, uh, the F2 thingy when you boot up, what's that called again? But, that did not fix the problem with the "invalid configuration" message. Maybe a little more background on that one? Please forgive my horrid lack of techno jargon here but this is what happened: I have this silver canister looking thingy where you can plug in boo-coo USB devices and can read different types of memory cards. The silver canister thingy, in turn, plugs into my computer, which has only two USB ports. I used to use the silver canister thingy to plug my USB mouse in and it worked just fine. However, this morning I was using the port where the adaptor plugs into the silver canister thingy (to give it power) to troubleshoot why my universal adaptor (an adaptor with multiple power settings and changeable plug sizes) quit working and I set the adaptor to too many volts, I guess, because i heard a pop which was followed by a funny smell and now the mouse no longer works through that silver canister thingy and I started getting the "invalid configuration" message on boot-up after that. I have a multi-hub that I set up, but same problem. They keyboard and speakers are attached to the multi-hub and they work just fine but not the mouse. Oh, the mouse was not attached to the silver canister thingy when I fried it so I didn't fry the mouse. Before I can move on to fixing the original problem, I've got to figure out how to get past this "invalid configuration" message and get my mouse working again.

My first week trying to work on my own computer and look at the mess I've made... :) Well, I did manage to get the universal power adapter working again.

Edited by GrandmaGeek, 28 September 2009 - 08:49 PM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

the F2 thingy when you boot up

this is called the "Bios".

The silver canister thingy

This sounds like a USB hub.

i heard a pop which was followed by a funny smell

popping sounds and funny smells are never good!

I have a multi-hub that I set up, but same problem.

Not sure what this multi hub is.

Can you post a few photos of the "silver cannister thingy", and multi-hub. Also, it sounds like your mouse is a USB type. If so, does it work if you plug it straight to the computer?

As for the "invalid configuration", I'm not quite sure what is causing this. I was going to recommend you reset the Bios to default settings, but that should have happened when you changed the battery. Still it might be something we need to check.