Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sata HDD/ports Question

• Please log in to reply

smw092

smw092

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hello,
My new video card covers up 3 of the 6 sata ports on my mobo. I am able to plug one sata drive into the first covered port with a 90 degree cable, but the others are impossible to use with my video card in place. Normally this wouldn't be an issue, except for the fact that it appears my mobo requires my hard drives to be plugged into the ports in order. (ie for the third port to be used, there must already be a hard drives plugged in to the first and second ports.

Because I have 3 hard drives, I am only able to plug one in to the first port, one in the second, and one in the fourth (because the third is covered). The 3rd hard drive however is not recognized at all by my system. Is there any way to force it to see the drive? Thanks.

Sorry as I'm sure this post is a bit confusing.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
With respect, most boards these days really do not care which SATA ports you use. You can use all of them, none of them or some of them in any random order.

In days of old, before internet urbanisation and back when this entire area was a simple field (:)), machines were more strict about what had to go where and what was set up for what, otherwise none of them would work.

Does the third drive work in the other free ports?
Is the BIOS set for audo-detection on all ports?
What board make and model do you have please?

smw092

smw092

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
The board is an MSI K9N2G Neo http://www.newegg.ca...N82E16813130182 . The drive worked when it was plugged in to the correct port, but will no work in any of the free ones. I have looked in BIOS but do not see any setting in regards to auto detection on all ports.

Thanks for the reply.

smw092

smw092

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Any ideas greatly appreciated. I've tried everything I can think of and haven't seen any similar issues on other forums. Thanks.