Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

how could I restore programs from my old Drive in xp

• Please log in to reply

ctapia98

ctapia98

• Pip
  • 3 posts
So i had a custom made pc. After poweroutage Mainboard took a dump.
I took my HDD and put it on an emachine I had. I could access HDD data but couldn't boot from that HDD. I got stop0x7b. I know this was cause of the new mainboard from a different pc.
I did microsoft procdedure but failed.
I booted from bootcd did the HDC_FIX ubcd4win failed.
I pulled out the windows xp install cd and did the repair per this board and it still gave same BSOD.

I had to just use my emachine and copy my user settings to it. I have programs installed on the HDD but I can't access them since they are not installed in the current emachine. I lost the install cd's, How can i make it to where I can get those programs already in this pc?

I thought about pcclone but figured i would get the same stop code due to driver issue.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
Hi ctapia98 and welcome to Geeks to Go.

When you take a hard drive from 1 computer and put it in another computer as a boot drive, it is very unlikely that it will boot up. If it does, you would then be faced with a lot of driver and chipset errors.
The hard drive in 1 computer would have the board and device drivers installed as per that main board.
Putting the drive in another computer would require the drivers from that "new" main board be installed.

Programs can not be moved from 1 drive to another or from a partition to another. There are registry settings that are referenced when they are installed.
You will need to reinstall the programs you want.

123runner

ctapia98

ctapia98

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
so I had a power outage and my pc main board died on my custom PC.
I had an emachine so I went to take my hard drive and put it in there and tried to boot from it, but get stop 0x7b.
I know xp you can't just swap MB but mine fried.
I tried microsoft fix for stop0x7b but no go.
Tried ubcd fix_HDC and still not working.
Restored registery from UBCD no go,
Put in installation CD from XP and did chkdsk..no go
Did a repair on it via this boards "how to repair windows xp" and it still gave me that mesg.
I am able to see the drive contents when I hook it up as slave.

I copied my files over to the Emachine hardrive for backup purposes.(drag and drop).

The only way I could get my HDD from my custom pc to load on the Emachine was to do an install from CD. It said it will overwrite everything in existing c:\windows folder so I clicked yes.
Now I see there are some programs missing from the start menu.

was there anyway I could have made it to where I could have brought those back?

I though about using a clone disk ,but figured I would end up getting the stop0x7b again as it would just be the same clone of the old HDD.

let me know thanks.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
based on what it LOOKS like you've done (fresh install of windows) i'd say any programs that WERE there are gone now and would need to be reinstalled

ctapia98

ctapia98

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I was thinking I should have renamed the \windows folder to something like \windowsbackup and then done a fresh install on c:\windows. If I would have done that could I have restored those?

diybri

diybri

• Pip
  • 7 posts
i have never had problems with using drives from other pcs only the ms asking to validate. anyhow if its just programs try copy and paste them to the os programs file on the new drive and then open them from there it has worked for me in the past .