Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Excellent signal strength, limited or no connectivity

• Please log in to reply

sheederj

sheederj

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi,
I have a dell laptop that is newish that i use at home on our wireless network. It was working fine. Nothing i'm aware of has changed but now i have excellent signal with limited connectivity. I have another laptop that connects to the network and internet fine. I've reset the router, rebooted the computer, deleted the network connection and re-installed it. I've run ipconfig release and renew, winsockfix, and some netsh things that i found that were recommended elsewhere. We have a secure network with wep key. I don't know much about the router so i won't be able to answer many ?s about that.
If i do ipconfig/all, this is what i get:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\SheederJ>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : AMC-JXDBSK1
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . : ucdenver.pvt
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 2:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Dell Wireless 1397 WLAN Mini-Card
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-26-5E-34-67-F7
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.15.81
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Intel® 82567LM Gigabit Network Connection
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-24-E8-B4-11-8A

Anyone have any ideas that may help me? This is making me crazy as it worked fine last week!
Argghh!
Thanks for any help!

Advertisements

YancyB

YancyB

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Geez yeah... I have the same problem. -.- I cant do anything. I've tried everything too.
It's funny that I've seen quite a few people ask this question on google when I was looking for answers but no one has the answer!! It's so annoying!! I hope somebody fixes this problem as I need the Internet to do coursework and stuff D:<.
Anyway, good luck with this xD

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

I've reset the router, rebooted the computer, deleted the network connection and re-installed it. I've run ipconfig release and renew, winsockfix, and some netsh things that i found that were recommended elsewhere. We have a secure network with wep key. I don't know much about the router

Let's say the SSID of your wireless network is 'sheeder'. Using one the the functioning PCs, disable WEP and save your changes.

Using the laptop which is giving your fits, try connecting to 'sheeder'. Once connected, do an ipconfig /all. Your IP address should begin with 192.168.xxx.xxx.

If it does, try ping www.google.com

You should see four packets sent and four received. Post back if you can get this far. Also, your should be using WPA rather than WEP as WEP is very easy to circumvent.

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
Sheesh. I did not note the date of the OP.