Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Automatic Shutdown - Laptop heats

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 2 posts
First, I am sorry if I posted in the wrong subforum. Couldnt really figure out on which forum to post on x__X

Anyways, the problem started about 2 months ago. My brother had borrowed the laptop for couple of weeks. After I got it back when I was playing Counterstrike, after about 30 - 45 minutes, my laptop just shut off. It refused to start up for 5 - 10 minutes. I also noticed that the top left corner (looking at the laptop from the bottom) was extremely hot. Also the lining where the monitor attaches to the laptop was hot also.

From that point on, I started noticing anytime I played games (counterstrike, knights of the old republic, swat 4), the laptop would start heating up and would eventually shutdown. To resolve this issue, I would keep the laptop on a book which was small enough to let the top left side breathe (before I could keep the laptop on the bed but not I cant) and also start my table fan from the left side.

However, some other games like wc3 would run longer and wouldnt heat up the laptop so easily which prompted me to think that my graphics card was the culprit. I ran the techpowerup gpu utility (it has information about your video card, core clock, temperature etc.)

On average when my laptop is on the book, my gpu temperature is 67. If I run any sort of application like firefox or typing anything, it raises my temperature to 79. If I run a game then it shoots to 85 and eventually 90. I have never checked the temperature when my laptop is really hot because the laptop usually shutsdown. But I estimate it must have been hitting 95. I am going to guess the shutdown (and the refusal to start up immediately) is the laptop's defense mechanism for overheating

My laptop is
Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
Model: Compaq Presario F700 Notebook PC
Processor: AMD Turion™64 X2 Mobile Technology TL_60 2.00 GHz
Memory (RAM): 2.00 GB
32 bit os

My vid card is
NVIDIA GeForce 7000M/ nForce 610M (its intergrated)
driver version is nvlddmkm (ForceWare 177.13)/Vista

I can post more information if required and moderator please change my topic title or description if it is inappropriate and also move the topic if its posted in the wrong subforum

It would be helpful it know what I can do about this situation.

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,018 posts
  • MVP

I am going to guess the shutdown (and the refusal to start up immediately) is the laptop's defense mechanism for overheating

yep...usually you'll get a message on the next bootup that the system had to shutdown because of heat...but not always

it's odd that this issue started after your brother took the machine..

does he smoke? use baby powder? work in a sawmill? have a really dirty house?

it's possible that the GPU fan or the CPU fan (or both) have become gunked up...it's really easy to clean out a desktop...laptops are a bit more difficult...

if you can get a can of compressed air from the store you can try to blow out any funk that's in the computer through the vents where the fan normally moves air and see if that helps...

another thing would be to get a laptop cooler (basically a laptop stand with fans on it) that might help

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you very much for replying DSenette.

I have not recieved any particular message about overheating when I started the laptop again after an overheating incident. Is there any other way I can find about the message? Like looking at error logs. I tried searching through the vista error logs (xp ones were much simpler) but it was to no avail.

My brother is a university student so I guess his house is dirty.

I was about to do the compressed air idea once a professional recommended it as a solution.

Few last concerns.
I was thinking maybe my brother (he hasn't admitted to any such thing) had accidentally dropped the laptop or damaged in someway that the coolant which is usually on top of the gpu or cpu fan got dislodged? Is this possible for a laptop or only for a desktop? Should I explore this idea if the compressed air cleaning doesn't yield satisfactory results?

Also, I did do a driver update for the vid card after I got it back from my brother. Would this in anyway cause the overheating?

Sorry for not including these in the original post, I just thought of it now when you mentioned the cpu fan. Thank you for answering the first post. Hopefully you can answer my second one too. Wish I had some technical knowledge x_X