Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Start-Up Issue

• Please log in to reply

Opusvii

Opusvii

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, I'm really glad I found Geeks to Go. I'm having a strange start-up issue. I have a Sager laptop with Windows XP pro, service pack 3. On Monday I started to have a problem starting up my system. It would get to the windows screen, load my desktop then shut off. So I restarted it and it did the same thing. Finally, I went into Safe mode and was able to get into Windows. The laptop worked all day. Next morning the same thing happened except now my battery was drained too. I had to use Safe mode again. All worked well but I noticed that when I shut down, the battery light came on like the laptop was still on but it wasn't. So I unplugged it and removed the battery. Next day it started up normally(no battery). Then it happened again today again. I had to use safe mode to get back on. I ran a bunch of malware,adware and virus scans. I found some and cleaned them up. But then I checked the event logs and discovered that one of my USB ports is not working as well. Would a bad USB port cause the laptop to shut off? Is there anything else that I can check.

Thanks so much and sorry for the long post.

Advertisements