Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

160 gig WD1600jb hdd showing up as 33gigs

• Please log in to reply

mrq201

mrq201

• PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
So i recently received a harddrive.. WD1600jb and when i attached it to my computer as a secondary harddrive it is showing up as 33 gigs. I downloaded the Data lifeguard tools and could not change the size or space using the software. I reformatted using data lifeguard tools and it still shows up as 33 gigs. I know it has something to do with the DDO or the LBA thing, but I do not know how to correct it.

My computer is fairly new. No brand name such as dell or hp etc.... it was made by me. I have a 250 gig sata hdd as the primary so I thought that my motherboard could have handled the 160 gig. I have installed windows xp sp3. My atapi version is 5.1.2600.5512.

Any idea what I have to do? Should I give the motherboard model also and what I am seeing in the BIOS screen?

What other information will you require to assist me?

Thank you for your assistance

Edited by mrq201, 26 September 2009 - 09:02 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Drive's been capped to 32Gb.
There should be a jumper next to the IDE cables and power connections that you can move. One will control master/slave settings, the other caps the drive to 32Gb. on the drive itself should be a printed legend showing which jumper to remove.

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
I thought it had something to do with the jumper settings. Right now it is set to cable select and it is still showing 32 gigs. I will look around and see what it should be set too. Again, I have a WD1600JB caviar SE. Thank you again. I will let you know of my progress

***edit***
I tried it as slave and as Cable select and it still appears as 32gigs.

Does it make a difference that I have the hard drive hooked up on the IDE cable that connects to the CD-ROM drive?

Edited by mrq201, 27 September 2009 - 04:20 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
Cable Select, Master and Slave have nothing to do with it.
Read the legend on the lable on the drive. There may or should be something about Cap limit that is usually invoked when you have two jumpers.

This might be of interest to you:
http://wdc.custhelp....amp;p_topview=1

dr_always

dr_always

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Did the OP ever find a solution?

I bought a Western Digital 1600JB around, oh I'd say 9 years ago and, although the disk has been rock solid as far as uptime goes (100% over 9ish years), I've NEVER been able to make my system read the full capacity of the disk. My system caps it to a very lame 31.4gb and every time I try to fix this, I get nowhere and end up giving up after a day or two's worth of researching and tinkering.

This time, a little more determined than before to see my extra 130gigs, I emailed Biostar to make sure that my board does support 48bit LBA and they replied with a confirmation that it does, indeed. The motherboard I'm using is a Biostar M7NCD with the latest BIOS flash and I'm on WinXP SP2 (SP3 causes issues).

Neil Jones is introducing to me a feature that I have never seen before on any of the hundreds of hard disks that I've seen in my life. A set of jumper pins that specify capacity? From left to right on my WD1600JB (and every other drive I've seen), there is the IDE cable 39-40 pin set, then the master/slave/cable select pin set (WD1600JB is 10 pin), then the power cable 4 pin set. Here is a pic I just took of my drive pins:

Posted Image

I see no such set of pins that specify the capacity limit of the disk.

Does the OP or anyone else know a solution to this issue?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
Hi dr_always and :)
From the last reply from Neil;

There may or should be something about Cap limit that is usually invoked when you have two jumpers

How many jumper caps do you normally have and on what pins also how was the HDD formatted FAT 32 or NTFS?

dr_always

dr_always

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi phillpower2, and thanks for the welcome. This forum looks very attractive to a PC builder like myself.

IIRC, the drive came with only one jumper cap, though I have a few more laying around from other drives. Only one jumper cap is required for either master or slave mode, and no jumper cap is required for cable select. I am using cable select mode, which requires no caps on any pins, even though the drive is the only one in my system and I could be using master. The drive was formatted just a few days ago in NTFS, as I read this format is more prone to reading the larger disk sizes. An extra 120-130gigs would really come in handy, especially since I paid what was big bucks, to me, for them almost a decade ago. What am I doing wrong?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
Hi dr_always
Having just checked a 250GB WD I use for testing it has a jumper cap on the cable select pins, worth a try if you havn`t already.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
According to the WD article I linked to, one needs to put a jumper across pins 4 and 6, otherwise it comes up as a 32Gb drive.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
Any progress made dr_always?

dr_always

dr_always

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I've got it working! 152gigs of pure joy! Jumpers and pins had nothing to do with it.

Ever since I bought the drive in 2003 I had always had it in a machine that had a copy of WinXP installed from an install that didn't include a service pack embedded into the install, and then I would upgrade to the current service pack of the time through Windows Update. The people of my motherboard manufacturer's support team, Biostar, told me that I need to install a copy of XP with a service pack already embedded into the install. I was very skeptical and really thought this absolutely would not work, but figured I'd tried about everything else so I installed a copy of XP with SP3 embedded into the install and it worked! All these years! I should've emailed my motherboard's manufacturer, first thing, 8-9 years ago!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
Thank you for the update and sharing the solution so that it may help others in the future :)
Some times the most simple solution is overlooked and this can be very frustrating, anyhow glad you got it sorted and enjoy the forums.