Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Win XP: Hibernate or Standby?

• Please log in to reply

Ferrante

Ferrante

• PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
I have an XP machine and it takes forever to boot up. I have been using standby and like it as it is right there, no waiting, when I hit the mouse. What is the difference between hibernate and standby and which is better to use and why, please? As I said, I love being able to sit down and not have to wait for a complete bootup. Also, are there any dangers on using either hibernate or standby as opposed to shutting the unit down? Lastly, if I continue to use the sleep mode(s), should I at least turn off my internet cable box and separate router? Thanks in advance for your help.--Mark

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Hibernate takes a complete copy of what's happening at that point in time, writes it to the hard drive then shuts off. You can disconnect the power, leave it forever and a day, switch it on and it'll come back to that point.

Standby is low-power usage. Put a machine into standby, disconnect the power and the machine will just simply load up again from a cold boot when you do switch it on again. It's only marginally better than just flicking the switch at the wall. Most machines go into standby by default if you leave them long enough, as its whole purpose is you wake it up by moving the mouse.

Not all devices like going into standby and not all devices work after a machine comes out of hibernation. Therefore depending on your hardware configuration there may be no benefit to either of these. A better solution may be to investigate why the machine takes an extended period to load.

Edited by Neil Jones, 27 September 2009 - 05:13 AM.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

Hibernate or Standby?, Which is better?

If it's desktop, don't use any.
They never work seamlessly.

Ferrante

Ferrante

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts

A better solution may be to investigate why the machine takes an extended period to load.

Can you tell me what would be the best way to go about that? I have so many processes running and I am not sure what I should have at startup and what can be eliminated and only used when needed? Thanks.

RCguy

RCguy

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
I've always been skittish of hibernate ... too many problems 'waking up' was my experience. But to be fair, diff computers react differently to it I imagine. Standby works great for my laptop, except now and then I have one program that doesn't always like to re-establish a communications driver and I have to reboot. So I shutdown that program before I go into standby, then restart it.