Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Significantly reduced wireles signal..

• Please log in to reply

MR0624

MR0624

• PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
I have 2 laptops and 1 desktop connected to my apple airport extreme router. The speeds are generally great, and signal strength hasn't been a problem anywhere around my house.

However, the last few days one of my laptops has been having connection issues. If I'm in the basement (the router is on the first floor), the laptop can't find any networks, not even the ones from the neighbors. The other laptop however finds a signal and gets a good connection. When I move literally directly up the stairs in the same spot, I find a signal, though it is weak. As i get closer to the router, signal strength increases.

No viruses/trojans or anything I can find..I'm thinking it's a problem with the network card, but I'm not sure how I'd replace this in a laptop (never even worked with the hardware of a laptop, only desktops =\).

Do you guys think that's the problem, and how would I replace the card?

Advertisements