Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Freezing and hanging up on boot and bios screen

• Please log in to reply

zamboura2

zamboura2

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Tweene was helping me remove a few infections and my computer started freezing and hanging up. i figured this to be because the infections but it got to where the computer couldn't even boot then it just now got to the point that it won't get past the bios screen.
i managed to get in the bios options and change the boot order and try booting (only booting not installing) from a linux ubunto disc and it hung up and froze with trying to boot to linux.
so Tweene suggested it may be a hardware problem. i'm currently on a friends computer but i'll have a good deal of access to it to check this topic.
all help or suggestions appreciated.

Advertisements

Siortuth

Siortuth

• Pip
  • 1 posts
If your computer locks up During the POST, (Pre system Boot, prior to accessing any hard drives before the operating system loads) then there is sometimes a lot of dust and pet hair buildup on critical fans and coolers in your computer case.

Especially pay attention to the coolers on your Video cards and CPU coolers.

If you have pets frequenting your computer room, you should blow out the fans with compressed air at least once a month.

Use a flashlight to make sure you can see all the cooling fins when done.