Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

50 Processes running, computer slow to start up

• Please log in to reply

gooter

gooter

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi,

Hoping you could help. My computer takes a while to start up, and then when it does, takes a good 5 minutes to load up IE or firefox. I checked my processes in task manager, and there are around 50 processes running! Is that normal?

svchost is the highest until I run firefox, which then runs at around 100,000k. Is there something I can run to clear some of these out? I'm sure I don't need all of them - I'm still running aolacsd.exe for crying out loud, and I stopped using aol around 3 years ago!

I've seen a number of "free registry scans", but don't trust them at all, so if any of you know a good safe registry scan (or whatever else) I'd appreciate it

Cheers
Gooter

Advertisements

n3ko

n3ko

• PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
Hi There, :)

Don't use registry cleaners. They do nasty things to your computer and over time it will become unstable and possibly unable to start. They wouldn't solve this problem anyway. :)

It sounds like you have a lot of old programs you could uninstall, startup programs and services you could disable.

Have you gone to "Add & Remove Programs" from Control Panel and uninstalled all the old programs you don't use anymore?

Edited by n3ko, 27 September 2009 - 09:08 AM.

Pizzado

Pizzado

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Viruses sometimes like to hide in a svchost.exe process. Check out the malware and spyware removal forums.

Good luck.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
50 processes is nothing unusual.
Also, RAM usage doesn't matter much, as long as you have enough RAM installed.
What matters is CPU usage column in Task Manager.
What's the number for CPU usage there?

gooter

gooter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I uninstalled some programs, got the number down to 45 :)

The CPU usage right now hovers around 6 - 10%, which is pretty good?

I have discoverred a more worrying problem though, whenever I shut down, my computer automatically restarts :)

I've just been turning it to stand by for now :)

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Go Start>Run (Start Search in Vista), type in:
msconfig
Click OK (hit Enter in Vista).

Click on Startup tab.
Click Disable all
IMPORTANT! In case of laptop, make sure, you do NOT disable any keyboard, or touchpad entries.

Click Services tab.
Put checkmark in Hide all Microsoft services
Click Disable all.

Click OK.
Restart computer in Normal Mode.

NOTE. If you use different firewall, than Windows firewall, turn Windows firewall on, just for this test, since your regular firewall won't be running.
If you use Windows firewall, you're fine.

Same problem?

gooter

gooter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hi Broni,

Thanks for your help

Not sure which problem that was suppose to fix, but computer still has loads of processes running (although it's only 38 now) and computer still turns itself on after I shut down

I'm using XP btw

Cheers

Edited by gooter, 02 October 2009 - 05:12 PM.