Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

The world's worst "IT-technician"?

• Please log in to reply

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
:) :)

Advertisements

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts

This guy is for real!
Since i'm afraid of our own malware staff here at G2G :) ,i went to his site to ask for advice:

Here's my poblem:
Hi Berndt and hello from greece!
First,great site and very usefull tips!Yesterday i've downloaded a bad file from limewire,infected with a rootkit or something.I've identified the infected file and MOVED (not copied)it to a usb memory stick and threw it away.Then i defragged my c-drive and done a system restore.Now my PC works fine,do you think i'll be ok?Another question,can you recomend a good free antivirus?Thanks again for a great site and your help
cheers charlie

Now,if you want to read the GURUS answer,go to his site and check out his guestbook :)

that was funny... you got a quick response, and he is going to add the bit about throwing away the virus to his tips, so now you will be famous.

:)

zorba the geek

zorba the geek

• PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
Can i please,please give "Malware advice" now,please,please! :)

And teach at GU :)

Edited by zorba the geek, 10 October 2009 - 08:47 AM.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
Zorba, shouldn't you have used hazardous waste disposal when you threw that virus away?

zorba the geek

zorba the geek

• PipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Zorba, shouldn't you have used hazardous waste disposal when you threw that virus away?

No,i left the stick at a bus stop,somebody will have a nasty surprise :)

cbarnard

cbarnard

• PipPipPip
  • 755 posts
Hey I have had such a blast reading this thread...

I couldn't help it, I had to follow up what Zorba did...

So I wrote him with some other "tips" that I use...

Lets follow it and see what he says... LOL :)

Hi Thank you for you tips I read through them they were all spoton...

It is great to see other people like myself so interested in helping educate others in the ways of computer safety... I was a doctor at Seattle Grace Hospital for about 7 Years. But we just recently merged with another hospital in the area, and I was "let go" So I figured I would start full time in my other passion Computer safety... Who better than a DR. to fight computer Viruses... They may not be able to infect a person but the principle is the same... It takes a DR to fix it... :)

I just had a tip for you that I use whan I come across a heavily infected computer...

I have a special usb memory stick that I have preloaded with some special EXE. files
This way saves so much time... I don't have to "look" thought everyones logs and figure out what the specific infection is... So I just hit it with everything I have.

First I start notepad

I write a bunch of Antibiotic.EXE files

I always include some Antibiotic.EXE that deal with polymorphic file infections... That is why my list is so large... I can't stand it when other "Experts" use just a couple EXE. from the list below... That is how Virut and other Polymorphic infections have come about...

Then I upload the file into the infected computer...

This is my latest List that I use with great success!!!

EXECUTE:
E:\antibiotic.EXE
Run all:
Amikacin.EXE
Gentamicin.EXE
Kanamycin.EXE
Neomycin.EXE
Netilmicin.EXE
Streptomycin.EXE
Tobramycin.EXE
Paromomycin.EXE
Geldanamycin.EXE
Herbimycin.EXE
Loracarbef.EXE
Ertapenem.EXE
Doripenem.EXE
Primaxin.EXE
Meropenem.EXE
Cefadroxil.EXE
Cefazolin.EXE
Keflin.EXE
Cefalexin.EXE
Cefaclor.EXE
Cefamandole.EXE
Cefoxitin.EXE
Cefprozil.EXE
Cefuroxime.EXE
Cefixime.EXE
Cefdinir.EXE
Cefditoren.EXE
Cefoperazone.EXE
Cefotaxime.EXE
Cefpodoxime.EXE
Ceftazidime.EXE
Ceftibuten.EXE
Ceftizoxime.EXE
Ceftriaxone.EXE
Cefepime.EXE
Ceftobiprole.EXE
Teicoplanin.EXE
Vancomycin.EXE
Azithromycin.EXE
Clarithromycin.EXE
Dirithromycin.EXE
Ampicillin.EXE
Amoxicillin.EXE
Bacitracin.EXE
Ciprofloxacin.EXE
Levofloxacin.EXE
Polymyxin_B.EXE
Sulfacetamide.EXE
Sulfisoxazole.EXE
Demeclocycline.EXE
Tetracycline.EXE
Mupirocin.EXE
Fosfomycin.EXE
Rifampicin .EXE

Lets see what he says :) :) :)

Wander

Wander

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts
"This is funny because it's true, many of the teachers and students at the school I am IT admin at are idiots that don't understand computers. Especially the children are idiots."

xD

zorba the geek

zorba the geek

• PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
Reason for edit:

The site proves to be quite good,the topic I came across was the only one and the advice was given by random members. I've deleted the link in order to prevent any missconception about the quality of the site.

Thank's
zorba

Edited by zorba the geek, 30 October 2009 - 12:24 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
They are kidding right? :)
Only option given was to format the system? :)
No suggestion of trying to find virus and clean system? :)
OMG what a loss of internet space. :)

zorba the geek

zorba the geek

• PipPipPip
  • 758 posts

They are kidding right? :)
Only option given was to format the system? :)
No suggestion of trying to find virus and clean system? :)
OMG what a loss of internet space. :)

Actualy there was a suggestion of finding the virus:

Quote:Personal i think reformating a hard drive is a bad idea.
Once you have done a complete reformat and began to reinstall Windows with installing other software as well it soon comes apparent that it is a waste of time!
why not try a quicker option,
Looking for signature code from a file that gives it self away though displayed error messages or better yet try looking at Dangerous File Extensions though the search results tab
.scr = Windows script file
.exe = Executable file
.pif = Windows script file
.bat = Windows batch file
or
Safe File Extensions with attachments
.txt = Plain text file
.htm = Website page
.eml = A forwarded email file. This is safe to open,
but within itself may contain further attachments.
.doc Microsoft Word Document
.xls Microsoft Excel spreadsheet
or
boot sector files
memory files
and
hard drive files

About reformating and reinstall,how about this:

Quote:
The computer did not let me reformat the hard drive so I took it out connected it to my mac and formatted it that way, put it back in and proceeded to install windows but no luck, it said it didn't recognize the hard disk. Do you think I need a new Hard Drive?

He srewed that one up also :)

I'm sooooooo glad ,i've come to the real geeks first time 'round,and not ended up with guy's like them

VIVA GtG :)

Edited by zorba the geek, 29 October 2009 - 12:36 AM.

Advertisements

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts

Found another one,but this time they call themselves "Geeks"!!??? :)

http://geeks.pirillo...cs/virus-issues

That’s one topic on the whole site?

Geeks is a good site… its owned by Chris Pirillo, and he is a pretty squared away, and well known guy. Kat works for him, and I think that might even be one of the sites she manages. It’s not a malware help forum, and it appears that just a random member replied to the user about reformatting. So just be carful on who, or what site you choose to bash.

Thanks,

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not one to bash any other site but the advice given I'm sure everyone can agree is wrong.
I apologize if it sounded like I was bashing as it was not my intentions.

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts

Not one to bash any other site but the advice given I'm sure everyone can agree is wrong.
I apologize if it sounded like I was bashing as it was not my intentions.

No worries, and I agree the advice is wrong but there is nothing wrong with that site as a whole.

zorba the geek

zorba the geek

• PipPipPip
  • 758 posts
First of all I want to make clear,that I was refering only to the ONE TOPIC and the random members,not the site as a whole!I apologize if it sounded like I was bashing the whole site as it was not my intentions.
My point was to show how important it is,to get malware advice from the experts.
The OP clearly had a malwareproblem:
Quote: My girlfriend asked me to fix her laptop. It has a monster of a virus on it, that I can't get rid of. It won't let me reinstall windows, and I tried different virus removal software which don't seem to install. Any ideas?
As you can see,there is a profound difference between my post regarding the IT admin and the post about this one.No jokes,no :) or any other degrading comments.
It is rather a grim remeinder to everybody,that there is a lot of wrong advice out there,wich can sometimes do more harm than good.It also explains,why here at GtG only malwarestaff can give advice and solutions to malware related problems.Any advice given by random members will be deleted and the OP refered to the malwareforum.
Again,my intent was not in any way to bash the site,just the bad advice given.
BHowett,thank's for bringing this to my attention.I should have given a better explaination with the post and my reason behind it.

Quote:So just be careful on who, or what site you choose to bash.
I herewith consider myself "kicked in the butt"(and rightly so)and take my punishment without hard feelings :)

Thanks
cheers
zorba

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
The virus won't "let" him reinstall Windows? This guy needs to check himself out. That's got to be the easiest job to do.