Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My Computers Keeps Freezing!

• Please log in to reply

Elvenwarrior2001

Elvenwarrior2001

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
Okay. One of my comps (Windows '98SE) keeps freezing, but not totally. The mouse still moves, but clicking on anything doesn't work. The keyboard won't bring up the programs running screen when I press CTRL+ALT+DEL, but it does give me error messages like "System Busy" and error messages like the following:

"Windows

A fatal exception OE has occurred at 0028:002C2000. The current application will be terminated.

*Press any key to terminate the current application.
* Press CTRL+ALT+DEL again to restart you computer. You will lose any unsaved information in all application.

Press any key to continue_"

I can run some programs normally for a while, but then all of the sudden it'll freeze, like within 15 minutes or less. It ALWAYS freezes up in the above described manner whenever I try to print something.

I have in installed a lot of programs lately, because I'm moving them to another computer. That pretty much summerizes the freezing problem.

I have a second problem with a program. I don't think it's related, but that's for you to judge. I installed a program (it's an older program, but I've run it before on this OS) but whenever I try to run it I get the following error message:

"Program Error

floating-point error: overflow"

It did have trouble reading the A disks, and I had to take them in an other several times to get them to read them.

Anyway, there are my problems. I hopes you have my suggestions. <_<

Elven

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Boy that's a real generic error, not much help for tracking down the source...

Here's a short list of things to try:

Check to see if you have the latest drivers installed for your motherboard.
Check to see if you have the latest drivers installed for your video card.
Test RAM with memtest86
Check for spyware.
Make sure you fans are working, check temps with a monitoring utility.

Elvenwarrior2001

Elvenwarrior2001

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Okay. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll run them and see what happens.

Elven