Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE
Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of friendly volunteers serve up answers and support. Get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute.
Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message and all ads will be removed once you have signed in.
Create an Account Login to Account

BIOS SATA Drive Settings

• Please log in to reply

basstrx

basstrx

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi everyone, I will give as much detail as I can.

I have a Dell XPS 400 (Dimension 9150) PC, I found in the trash and it was intact. All I did was put memory in it and a new Power Supply. I was not familiar with SATA drives, and this is the first time dealing with them.

It has only 1 drive, which is a 250GB drive, and it was partitioned from what I could tell with 3 partitions. One I think held the System Restore service containing Windows Media Center Edition, and then there were 2 more. I deleted all the partitions, chose the [RAID AUTODETECT/ATA] choice in the BIOS screen (shown below), and then installed XP Pro from my own cd.

This SATA hard drive is on -Drive 0 Sata 0 ID 0-, and there is a DVD Burner on a regular IDE cable. I have been researching this topic, I understand the idea behind RAID configs, but I am only dealing with this 1 drive and am not going to add any more. There are also card readers installed/enabled on the front of the pc.

At 1st when I tried to install XP it would not show any drive, and then crashed. But I was able to install it after changing the Config to the RAID AUTODETECT/ATA choice (by chance) and all is good, except what should be Drive C: is Drive H:, the card readers are labled from C-F, and the DVD Drive is DRIVE G:

[I want to do a final reinstall knowing I did it the right way]

SO HERE IS MY QUESTION: what setting choice below should I choose?

In the BIOS screen, under the DRIVES setting, there is a SATA Operation selection setting.
It looks like this:

[DRIVES]
-Diskette Drive
-DRIVE 0: SATA-0
-DRIVE 1: SATA-1
-DRIVE 2: SATA-2
-DRIVE 3: SATA-3
-DRIVE 4: PATA-0
-DRIVE 5: PATA-1
-SATA OPERATION

You can choose one of these 4 selection settings:

[RAID AUTODETECT/AHCI] - RAID IF SIGNED DRIVES, OTHERWISE AHCI
[RAID AUTODETECT/ATA] - RAID IF SIGNED DRIVES, OTHERWISE ATA
[RAID ON] - SATA IS CONFIGURED FOR RAID ON EVERY BOOT
[COMBINATION] - SATA/PATA COMBINATION MODE

And these 3 info notes are below that on the screen:

*This field configures the operating mode of the integrated hard drive controller.
*The Factory default setting is RAID AUTODETECT/AHCI
*Note that changing to or from COMBINATION MODE will change how the drives are listed. The information for the drives will not reflect these changes until after a reboot.

THANKS.

Advertisement