Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

no post or error beeps

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hito everyone at geeks to go,
This is a new thread regarding a previous issue that was ended due to it not being possible to resolve at the time despite all the time & assistance put in by makai.
I have changed the mobo for a known working one (MS6712 Ver 10a) but unfortunately i have the same problem
as before: no post or error beeps despite carrying out all the original tests ie bare bones out of the case
etc the result is just the same hard drive spins temporarily, all fans & optical drives work front & rear usb ports have power but still no signal to monitor.
The athlon 3000+ chip was cleaned & prepd correctly using arctic silver cleaning fluid/purifier & thermal paste applied, after cleaning there was no evident damage to the chip, no scorching or bent pins.
A couple of things i have noticed are: if i put a cd in either caddy the system sounds like it is reading them/ i am not sure what a hd is meant to sound like but mine appears to grumble 2/3 times on powering up but no clicks & also pressing the reset switch does nothing!
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as i am fed up moving jumpers & cmos batteries in the vague hope it just may work, thanks

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Topic Starter
  • Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
I must have been evil in a previous life or something, i am now on my 3rd mobo & still cant get my system to post, so far i have changed mobo/twice, psu, ram, cpu, monitor/lead & dvi adapter but still no post.
The 3rd board i tried has onboard graphics & still no post using my own monitor & lead or my sons system, this board is a ms6786 with athlon 2700 cpu & i also tried a new 256mb stick of ram ive bought for testing purposes but the problem persists, so the only thing that has not been changed is the hard drive, could this
be the culprit? the on screen message no input signal appears wether the hd is connected or not & my original mobo was set to boot from cd 1st then hd 2nd if it is at all relevant any suggestions appreciated
thanks.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,
Got your PM. Yah, I saw this thread, but thought I would leave it for other opinions... that's why I didn't respond to it. Sometimes people want others to respond rather than the same person that "attempted" to help before.

I must have been evil in a previous life or something,

No, it's computers that are evil!:)

Man, not sure what to tell you though! It could be the hard drive, but I would think that the bios would at least post a message. I don't have a spare desktop system I can run, but if I pull my laptop hard drive, I can still enter bios. Have you tried just removing the hard drive to see if you can force an error. How about using a different IDE/Sata cable. Geesh... by now, I'm sure you must have tried it, but I have to mention it anyways.

Are you still not getting any video signal at all on the monitor? No post messages at all, no scrolling text? Not even an attempt by the bios to tell you something is wrong?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Topic Starter
  • Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hi, thanks for the quick reply, Im not getting anything at all everything is exactly the same as before blank screen.
I have tried swapping the leads around but no luck, i havn`t tried just disconnecting the hd so i will try that & post back,

Thanks

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
By the way, did you try using a regular VGA video cable instead of DVI? Yah, I know... I gotta ask the silly questions! :) I think from here on out, with everything you've already tried, all my questions will seem silly! :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Topic Starter
  • Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Just tried disconnecting hd only & it made no differance, asking about trying a vga cable is a very valid
question as i am not sure if i know what one looks like :) my monitor only has dvi input & i only have
the cable it was supplied with & usually have to use a dvi adapter to connect to my agp card, incidentally
my hd doesn`t seem to be doing anything at all, after powering system up the hd activity light
stays on momentarily but nothing else happens.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
VGA cables normally have blue or black connectors on each end. DVI normally has white connectors. DVI also has different types of connectors and some monitors may require a specific type. I'm guessing that you have the correct type DVI/VGA interface since everything was working at one time.

I really don't know what else to recommend. You've tried just about everything and you're basically down to the processor. This is where it gets really sticky as no one really likes to start buying processors to troubleshoot. Is there anyone you know who has a junk machine you could pull the processor from? This might be your only option other than buying a processor just to find out if it's causing all this grief.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Topic Starter
  • Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
I googled vga lead & as you guessed I have tried them this on the 3rd
board that has onboard graphics & my sons system which has both type
of connection on the rear of his tower, i have tried 2 cpu`s my own 3000+
& an athlon 2700 both have been tested & are working.
The on screen message on the 2nd monitor read RGB no signal when connected
to my tower & when connected to either the onboard vga port or the dvi
adapter on my agp card.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Ok... more stupid questions.

A while back, you swapped out the original power supply for a 500 watter. Did you happen to try the original with any configuration of setups?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Topic Starter
  • Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Yes i tried it when i did a barebones check out of the case
on the 3 differant boards.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Well, I'm totally at a loss right now. If you don't mind, can I ask you to set up a system outside the case with the following...

1 stick of ram
hardrive
Vid card
Processor
keyboard
mouse
monitor
Power supply

Now, can you supply various photos so I can take a look at the setup. Try to keep any wires out of the way so I can have a clear view of the mother board connections. I know it's a lot of work, but being "blind" as it were, on the forum, I don't know what else to try.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Topic Starter
  • Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
If its ok with you i will do it after work tommorow as its
nearly bedtime here in the uk & i dont want to make any silly
mistakes, thanks for taking the time to help its much appreciated.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
No problems! Go to sleep!

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Sorry for not getting back sooner... I'm still hunting for a car for my sister. Thanks for the photos.

I've looked over the photos very carefully looking for any kind of anomaly, but can't see anything wrong. I was even able to download the manual on the MS-6712 and went through it, but nothing stands out. I couldn't locate the MS-6786 manual and reading up on google, the only thing I could find was about compatibility that the ram must be PC2100 or PC2700... it can't run PC3200 ram.

Its very hard to believe that 3 processors, 3 motherboards, and various vid cards give you the same problem... not to mention 2 monitors/cables.

Seriously, I don't know where to go with this. Heck, you can't even try to update the bios unless you can boot somehow.

Have you tried any kind of linux live cd (like PUPPY LINUX) to see if the computer will boot to it. Very, very long shot and it may just be a waste of time.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Topic Starter
  • Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Thanks for that superfast reply, sorry i dont have any knowledge of Puppy Linux
so i will have to google it & do some studying also i am waiting on a new hd to
arrive in the post i will then try that with each set up to see if by any slim
chance it sparks one onto life, a big thanks for taking time out for us in need
when your already busy i will post back with any developements.