Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

no post or error beeps

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Puppy Linux is a live cd that will boot the computer. All you have to do is download the iso file, and burn it to cd with an application that can burn iso's... like IMGBURN (its free). Once the cd is burnt, it'll boot the computer to linux. Although... I don't know if it'll work in your case as you don't see anything on the monitor. However, the good thing about trying this is that if it is capable of loading, it carries its own drivers and doesn't rely on the hard drive. If you need help with it let me know.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 20,024 posts
Thank you i will look into it right away

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Let me know how it goes.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 20,024 posts
Hi, i tried the puppy linux approach but with no luck im afraid, the frustrating part about it is that i can hear the optical drives reading the disc when i try it in either one of them, thanks anyway it was worth a try, all is not lost though i am going to explore puppy linux on my laptop & learn something new (at least until the new hd arrives in the mail) then it will be back to being a gibbering idiot again going over the same old ground, once again many thanks & i will keep you posted

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Puppy linux is actually quite good for recovery purposes. I don't run linux, but I have recently used puppy to move data... just to mess around. You can even have puppy boot from flashdrive. I have two flash drives with puppy... a 1gb, and a 4gb. The 4gb is partitioned for 2.5gb Fat32 (so windows can use the partition... it can't access ext2), and ~1.3gb ext2 partition for puppy so I can boot to it. You can follow THIS link if you want to play with it. By the way, some laptop's bios' (like Thinkpads) won't recognize a flash drive with only an ext2 partition and won't even list it as a boot device... this is why my 4gb is partitioned with a Fat32 partition. Its there so my Thinkpads will see the flashdrive during bootup. By the way, you don't need a hard drive installed in the computer to have puppy boot up... it uses ram.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 20,024 posts
Thanks for the puppy linux info i am going to follow the link you have provided as soon as
i have posted this, i did remember from your previous post that the live cd booted from ram
& not the hd but i had already completely reassembled the system (with the previous ram fitted)
before i tried the puppy linux so if the ram is trashed then i gather the system will not boot
anyway so when i fit the new hd if it doesn`t post i will install the replacement ram & try the
puppy etc apart from that i need a break from it its becoming like groundhog day, i will post
back any outcome of the hd change, thanks

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Fully understandable! Take care.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Technician
  • 20,024 posts
Hi to everyone @ gtg, just a couple of lines to bring this thread to an end :) this
problem has got me beat & so i have decided to get a new board fitted that comes with a
guarentee, i actually took the system to the local comp shop were the tech guy took out the ram
& tried a differant agp card when it didnt beep he declared the board dead so i am moving on.
I would like to thank makai for all your time & assisstance it was greatly appreciated.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Ok phillpower2. Sorry we couldn't get it going for you.

This topic is closed.

Take care,
makai