Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help with XP repair please

• Please log in to reply

Rx7_HKS

Rx7_HKS

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hey guys, I've been seeking help with a problem with XP for a while and haven't got a response, even posted on the haven't had any help category and still no reply's to neither, so tried to do things on my own, but here I am with another problem.

I've been trying to repair XP media center 2005 because it won't boot past the XP loading phase due to a BSOD. After attempting to repair the partition I left to work and let the setup run on its own, however, I forgot to leave the power adaptor connected to the laptop, so when I come home the laptop is turned off with no battery.

The problem that I'm having now is that now that I boot windows I get an error after the BIOS saying 'Windows Could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt system32 system.sav'

I've tried booting up with and without the XP CD after that and I get the same error. It's not booting from the CD any longer. I'm at a loss of what to do, since I don't have very much to work with here as all I get to do now is choose between the boot order and BIOS setup. I'm currently running a Hard Disk Self Check from the BIOS setup but I doubt that has anything to do with the problem.

If I can please please get some help this time around it'd be very much appreciated, thank you very much...

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Hello,
Is this the same computer that all your topics are related to? What computer is this? Specs? I'm assuming you tried all Safe Mode options?

It might be a better idea to just backup your data, wipe the drive (format it), and start from scratch. If you set the CDROM as the first boot device and it won't boot the XP disc, then perhaps the CDROM drive is defective. Can you get your hands on an external USB CDROM to see if it will boot from there?

Rx7_HKS

Rx7_HKS

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Thank you for the response!! =)

The computer in question is an HP Pavillion dv6000 Laptop with Intel Centrino Duo Processor, Windows XP Media Center 2005, 1g Ram.

I've basically tried booting from safe mode but I still get the same problem, it won't go through. I took your advice and changed the boot operation from CD/DVD to #1 and the windows CD ended up working again, however I followed the steps on the XP repair guide that was layed out on this category and it wouldn't work. It mentions that there as an internal problem with the system or whatever after the setup copies the files.

I would hate to have to reinstall a fresh copy of windows and lose all of the files saved on it. How do I go about backing up my files from the BIOS, or windows cd? Or is there a way to bypass the error message that pops up after the windows setup copies the files?

Thank you so much for the assistance again!!

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts

I would hate to have to reinstall a fresh copy of windows and lose all of the files saved on it. How do I go about backing up my files from the BIOS, or windows cd? Or is there a way to bypass the error message that pops up after the windows setup copies the files?

You need to pull the hard drive and put it into a USB enclosure, then connect it to another computer to save your user data. Note that you cannot back up program files and you will need to reinstall all your programs again if you eventually have to reformat and reinstall XP. As for bypassing the XP error during startup... it could be due to anything. Also, since this is an HP... have you read THIS, and does you laptop qualify for free repair? You might contact HP.

By the way, 51 minutes does not equate to "a while"... so don't pm me just because you posted a response 8 hours after I last responded. I'm busy helping 14 other people at the moment, and my signature is meant for people to pm me after a few days... not minutes.