Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random Restart and Freezage

• Please log in to reply

[L]ancelot

[L]ancelot

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
My friend just biult me a decent comp and sometiem if im playing CS for longer than like 10 min my computer will restart. Or It will go to a blue screen and it ses soemthing about how windows has to restart before further problems occur.Can you guys help me out thx...

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
List the specs and temps, I am especially interested in the cpu temp.

Rick

[L]ancelot

[L]ancelot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
I have an AMD 64 Athalon 3000+, 1.5gb of ram, ATI Radeon 9550 256MB Video Card( Piece of [bleep] , I have heard this may be the problem) The CPU temp is at a steady 37C. I heard that the Radeon Drivers cause the restarting of the computer. It doesnt necesarily do it wen just browsing the net. It Really only does it wen u play Counter Strike for more than ten minuted. I have tried all kinds of setting in the ATI control panel and on Options on CS. I am about to buy a GeForce if i cant fix it now. My buddy had the same prob and supposedly his GeForce fixed it. :/

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
In bios try lowering the apg mode to 4x
Disable sidebanding if your bios has this function
Disable fastwrite

Depending on what chipset you have these settings should be under something like Advanced chipset features>AGP & P2P bridge controll.

What mobo do you have?
What make power supply?
How many watts is the power supply?

Please read this artical it addresses these concerns and many others

Rick

[L]ancelot

[L]ancelot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Now I just got a new vid card. It Helped with the restarting somewhat it doesnt do it as much. I got a Nvidia Gforce. But I think my comp is overheating. My comp will restart wen the temps hit like 41C. They hit that wen i am in CS ....Any tips on cooling?Should i still try to do the stuff u sed in the BIOS. Wut is a MOBO?I have a Raidmax 420W Power Supply

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
sorry mobo = motherboard

Hold off on the bios settings for now

I have to look up your psu (power supply) to make sure it is adequate, I'll get back to you on it.

Now for the temps, if 41c is the cpu temp then thats very good and is not the problem. But I am curious as to why it restarts at that particular temp. If you are using monitoring software to monitor the temps make sure that the shutdown threshold is set to 60c if its set lower to say something like 50c then this could cause this

Does the new video card have a extra power cable that needs to be pluged into the psu and did you connect it?

I didn't list it before but what cpu also?

Rick

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
I went to the raidmax website and they didnn,t list the specs for the 420w, I wonder why they did however list specs for there 470w and I am leary of them

On your psu there should be a decal that lists the amps on all the rails could you post them

[L]ancelot

[L]ancelot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
NO the video card didnt come with a cable.

I have a AMD 3000 cpu

The amps are

+3.3V=26A

+5V=32A

+12V=13A

-5V=.5A

-12V=.8A

+5Vsb=2A

Toyal Output Voltage=420W

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
I think it is the power supply but not positive, I believe this because

1 the computer restarts most problems with the agp buss and newer cards result in a blue screen with a error or a system freeze not a restart.

2 the 12v @ 13a is low for gaming system I would not use anything less than 18a on the 12v on any new system.

If you could barrow a psu that is better to try that would confirm this but look at this Antecof comparable watts, scroll down and checkout its output on all the rails and compare it to yours, see what I mean.

Rick

[L]ancelot

[L]ancelot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
right on man .thx ill try to get a better one from a friend to try out

Edited by [L]ancelot, 22 May 2005 - 09:34 PM.

Advertisements

[L]ancelot

[L]ancelot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
O yea there is a little switch on my PSU right now its at 115V but i am able to switch it to 230V. When i switch it to 230 it seems like comp gets quieter. Like the fans arent runnign as fast.....Should i leave it at 115?

[L]ancelot

[L]ancelot

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
did u find anything else out doby?

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
You should not change that switch leave it to what it was set at. If you live in the US it should be set to 115 other areas I ain't sure.

That is a voltage switch and should be set to the voltage that the wall outlet supplies.

Rick

Rockster2U

Rockster2U

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 327 posts
Good call Doby - I've had some experience with larger Raidmax power supplies and voltage is all over the map. I've got to believe its even worse with this size. Even if there is enough juice on the 12 volt rail (not necessarily the case here), these power supplies tend to waffle re: voltage. I think you nailed it on the AGP blue screen or freeze vs restart. Some video cards tend to pull a lot of power and if its marginal to begin with, adding some fluctuations makes this very understandable.

:tazz:

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Thanks Rockster I am glad someone with experiance with these psu's had some input

normally with any kind of restarting I take a good look at the psu specs especially if I don't know the brand