Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What's inside a TFT monitor?

• Please log in to reply

jlmorgan

jlmorgan

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hello all!

I recently took apart a fairly old 17" TFT monitor and have written a blog all about my experience. I thought that it might be of interest to some in this community so I thought I would share it:

http://mesmorgan.wor...-a-tft-monitor/

I am a pretty amateur blogger so any feedback is always welcome!

Edited by jlmorgan, 28 September 2009 - 05:46 AM.

Advertisements

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts
Very interesting, I always like taking things apart to learn how they work first hand :)

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts

I would also just like to point out that when I put it back together again, not only did the screen still work, but so did the buttons on the front, I actually fixed it!

did you dust it off before putting it back together... ha ha you should of done it before you bought the new one :)

oh yeah, did you end up with any extra parts?

jlmorgan

jlmorgan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
There were 3 screws left over afterwards. I did try to get rid of the dust while I was in there, although to be honest I didn't think it would work again so I wasn't that bothered about cleaning it up.

Maybe I should have tried this before replacing it, but I am pretty happy with my new widescreen :)

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts

My wife thought it was a waste of time, but she just doesn’t understand, it’s a guy thing.

:)

mpascal

mpascal

Math Nerd

• Retired Staff
  • 3,644 posts
So true.. :)

Placid Storm

Placid Storm

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!!!

Me and a friend of mine were working on one of the old picture tube monitors. Curiosity nearly killed me. The monitor had been unplugged for about an hour I guess. We were originally going to replace the display cable. I got curious and there is a rubber suction cup on the side of the big glass screen. DO NOT REMOVE IT. I pulled it up just to take a peek inside. I guess it didn't like me peeking because my friend wasn't wearing shoes, he never does. But it sent a spark from my right hand, which is the one that was holding the rubber. Through my body and jumped off my left shoulder and ran down my friend to his concrete floor. I'm just glad I had shoes on. He no longer trust standing near me when we work on electronics.

AGAIN DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!!!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Oh Sari is going to have fun with you Placid Storm. :)
She is the Grammar police here on GTG. :)
I'm going to sit back and watch this one. :)

Placid Storm

Placid Storm

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
I don't even see what was so wrong with my post.

Oh yeah we got the cable fixed on the monitor though after we spent a while testing the wires to see which pins they match up to.

Never-mind, I re-read what I wrote and realized it jumps around quite a bit. Confusing even to those that don't understand the way I wrote it. I just hope it doesn't hurt too bad.

Edited by Placid Storm, 09 December 2009 - 11:31 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://electronics.h...rks.com/tv3.htm

they don't call that thing on the back an electron gun for nothing

Placid Storm

Placid Storm

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
Yeah the rubber cup was in about the same position as "Object E". It hurt really bad though I just hope someone learns from my mistake. I just wish I had known how bad it was going to hurt before hand.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:)

jlmorgan

jlmorgan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Yeah the rubber cup was in about the same position as "Object E". It hurt really bad though I just hope someone learns from my mistake. I just wish I had known how bad it was going to hurt before hand.

Good advise, I think those of us who spend a lot of time poking around inside computers sometimes forget about the amount of electricity surging through those things even when unplugged, especially older monitors that have big capacitors!

jlmorgan

jlmorgan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Anyone who's still interested, I have updated this since the pictures were out of order before, new link below:

http://mesmorgan.wor...-tft-monitor-2/

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
yeah i have gotten shocked a few times with displaye before most notably when i tried manually adjusting the picture on my old tv using the little screw like thingies on the pcb. also always wear rubber gloves. make sure the thing is attached to a gfi somewere and lastly never touch the device with both hands at the same time a shock traveling from your hand up your arm and down through your legs is less likley to kill you than a shock traveling from one hand up your arm across your heart than back to the board through your other hand. though no matter where the current goes it still hurts alot.

DONT TRY THIS AT HOME KIDS I MEAN IT
an electrician once told me how to tell the difference between 120volt circuit and a 220 volt circuit if you forgot your volt meter.
stand on a box hold out one hand only and touch one finger to each terminal if you are still standing on the box it is 120 if your flat on your [bleep] it is 220 XD

oh and about the old tv the picture is now sharper and more colorfull than when i bought it. :)

Edited by mikeloeven, 17 February 2010 - 11:10 PM.