Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Restricting program access to Guest Account

• Please log in to reply

RCguy

RCguy

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
I've recently reformatted and restore on my laptop. I am running XP home fully updated. After installing all of my apps, I created a guest account. When I installed apps, I specified to install only for my account (except of course anti-virus, firewall, anti-spyway etc). Some applications did not ask about this option, and I have 3 applications that I do not want a guest to be able to access. How can I restrict access to individual programs to my account only?

Thank you

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
unfortunately, XP home won't let you use group policy to do this effectively...well out of the box at least

there are instructions here on how to get GPEDIT.msc to work in XP home

once you get group policy enabled you'll want to run GPEDIT.msc on the machine then expand the user configuration section, then click on system. now in the right pane of the window you'll see a setting that says "don't run specified windows applications". double click that, then change it to enable. now press the "show" button then put the name of the executable file (whatever.exe) for the program you don't want them to run in there then press ok and apply

now restart the computer and log on as guest and see if you can run those apps....then log on as a privileged user and make sure you can run them too

RCguy

RCguy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
Ok thank you. :)

The link you posted doesn't seem to have a downloadable file link. After looking around and seeing the trouble others were having installing gpedit to XP Home, I came across this link http://www.roberttho...icks/gpedit.htm and it is painless! And gpedit it running on my pewter as we speak! :)

Ok, lemme try what you suggest. :)
http://www.roberttho...icks/gpedit.htm