Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Buying a new modem.

• Please log in to reply

lilaznpnk

lilaznpnk

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
So my current modem is AT LEAST 5 years old:
Siemens SpeedStream4100
and I'm assuming this is why my current internet is so slow. My internet provider is AT & T High Speed (Basic Plan) and they currently aren't up to simply giving us a new modem.
So I was wondering a few things.
1. Just to be sure, is it my modem that is causing the internet to be slow?
2. If it is, what should I look for in buying a new modem. (I am using wireless as well. My wireless router is an Airlink 101: 105N Wireless Router. Model Number: AR670W
3. Where can I get a new modem? And any suggestions for a new one?

Now, I am looking for as cheap of a modem as possible, but I do want it to still work fine/last for quite a while.
Additional Information:
Speed Test
-If you need anything else, just ask.

Edited by lilaznpnk, 28 September 2009 - 11:37 AM.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Any chance you can take the modem elsewhere and hook it up to run using a different ISP? I don't trust many of the current ones as they limit customers to bandwidth according to their usage. I hate to see you buy a new one and found out it is AT&T. I'm assuming you are wired directly to the modem then to the broadband cable. Those stats really are bad.

I use a Motorola SB5101 SURFBoard model bought at Office Depot. They are available at NewEgg.com, TigerDirect.com and many other places. There are better and faster modems available.

Have you try to log into your modem and check the settings. I was paying for higher speed for months before I checked and found I was still at the lower speed I originally paid for as a starter. It was a rented modem, same SB5101, and the ISP changed the modem's settings to provide the right speed.

I would just check everything before going with a new modem although one that is 5 years old should be updated for other reasons. After all, the standards have improved. Might even check the broadband cable installation if it is 5 years old, too.

lilaznpnk

lilaznpnk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Here's a picture of my settings. I want to be pretty sure about my settings before I actually buy the new modem. Is there anything I can change to make it faster? And are you sure the new modem is compatible with AT&T?
Posted Image

GMCS

GMCS

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
It looks like your up and down speeds are about exactly what ATT advertises for their Basic Plan. If you can afford it, upgrade to a better plan. Or call them and say you found a better broadband offer somewhere else, but you would be willing to remain a loyal customer if...

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I'm curious as to why it shows you connected at 768 Kbps (downstream) and 384 Kbps (upstream), yet your speed check shows 320 Kbps (downstream) and 170 Kbps (upstream)? Might want to pick several different servers and run the tests again. Maybe one that is closer to home. Those are close to being cut in half. I don't think ATT is limiting you.

Being DSL, I have had problems with noisy lines before which are detrimental to modem speed. It was an old house with real old phone wiring going for hundreds of feet under the ground to an old Bell connection box.