Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Reformatting Windows Vista

• Please log in to reply

Saane

Saane

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello thanks for visiting this post. I am new here so I am not sure if this post is in the right area. If not I'm sorry for displacing it. :)

And sorry if a topic like this has already been posted.

Okay on to the problem.

I have Windows Vista Home Premium on a Sony Vaio. When I got this laptop it didn't come with any disk......And I never made any recovery disk for it. Yes I know that was very dumb of me.I've useless heaps of junk and virus, Trojans, etc on my laptop so I want to reformat it making it like factory new. And this time I will make recovery disk for it before I do anything on it. I've searched all over the internet on ways to reformat vista and all I ever come across is "Format Vista to XP" and I do not repeat DO NOT! Want to do that. I love Vista and want to keep it.

So I'm asking if anyone knows a way to reformat Windows Vista Home Premium on a Vaio Laptop?

If anymore information is need about the laptop or more questions ask me please and I'll give it to you.

Advertisements

Saane

Saane

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Help please :)

Gaming4JC

Gaming4JC

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
It's impossible to reformat Windows Vista if you do not have the CD. Reformatting means wiping the disk from all data and then reinstalling.
You have two options.
A) Purchase the recovery CDs from Sony:
"Sony VAIO Recovery Disks

by Dave on August 1, 2009

Restoring your Sony VAIO to it’s original factory condition is sometimes preferred and necessary when troubleshooting and repairing your Sony product. The steps below quickly describe this process.
How to Create Sony Vaio Recovery Disks

Most Sony Vaio systems will have a VAIO recovery wizard. Create a Recovery Media Kit using this wizard and you’ll be able to create a set of CDs that will enable you to do a system recovery on your Sony VAIO machine.

If your PC does not have this feature, you can always call Sony at 1-800-488-SONY to have them send you the disks.
Sony VAIO System Restore

Once you have either created or ordered and received the CDs necessary to restore your Sony VAIO computer, you’ll need to place the first CD in the drive and reboot the machine. The recovery process will immediately begin when the system boots. If it does not begin, you may have to enter the BIOS of the computer to change the boot sequence to the CD ROM instead of the hard drive. To enter the BIOS, tap the F2 key numerous times when booting."
Source: http://www.pctechbyt...recovery-disks/

B) Install Linux. Ubuntu is my personal favourite and most Windows apps work under WINE. :)
http://www.ubuntu.com

Simply download the ISO from the site, use ImgBurn to burn the ISO as a CD and run the setup. It will walk you through the rest. :)

Hope this helps, I'm a newbie here too. :)

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts

I've useless heaps of junk and virus, Trojans, etc on my laptop so I want to reformat it making it like factory new.

If you are infected you should stop by our malware removal forum by starting HERE, and then posting in HERE

Also, Gaming4JC is correct..