Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Tech 'HappyRock' Told Me To Repost Here

• Please log in to reply

Gene R

Gene R

• PipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Here is the issue. I moved this post from this Forum to Windows XP and 'HappyRock' replied and said to move it back here. He said to mention I have the drive 'slaved' to my desktop but that isn't the configuration at this time. As mentioned below, I rean SpinRite and it allowed the laptop to boot up. Here is the original post... Thanks...

Update: Ran SpinRite and now the machine will boot up and let me log in. User states there was an additional "update" of Windows XP installed but appears to a complete, seperate install. Is there someway to clean this up without losing the users data? She can't find her original disk so she may have to order a restore disk from Microsoft. Thanks for any assistance.

I working with a Compaq Presario M2000, Windows XP Home Edition, AMD processor, 160 gb HD, 1 gb Memory.

On normal bootup get the blue screen of death with top line reading 'Can't load registry file...' can't finish reading as it goes to reboot. I even tried to press 'pause' but it doesn't freeze the screen.
Tried to boot into Safe Mode and it gets to, 'Press ESC To Cancel SPTD.sys'. If doesn't matter if you press ESC or not the system hangs there...

I've got the HD slaved into my desktop and under 'Documents and Setting' I see the followin users:
Admin
Admin.PAL
Administrator
Administrator.PAL
Administrator.PAL.000
All Users
All Users.Windows
All Users.Windows.0
Default User
Default User.Windows
Default User.Windows.o
Local Service
Local Service.NT.Authority
Local Service.NT.Authority.000
Network Service
Network Service.NT.Authority
Ntework Service.NT.Authority.000
The is two Windows folders: Windows and Windows.0
I'm running Malwarebytes on it at this time with 12 infections identified...
Is there anyway to get this drive cleaned up without having to restore it???
Thanks...

Advertisements