Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

how can i save info on a broken hdd?

• Please log in to reply

Cassandra5222

Cassandra5222

• Pip
  • 5 posts
so earlier i had a problem booting my comp

ok so i left my comp. on overnite (like i normally do by putting it in sleep mode) with a movie dvd inside the cd compartment, and when i went on the next day i had this error "A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart" i tried what it said and it brought me back to the screen. i havent tried much first i took out the dvd then i shut it down it wont reboot i pushed all the function buttons nothing it just beeped at me. i took it apart to see if any of the lines came loose nothing was wrong it didnt have a bad smell. i have the xp home edition disk somewhere. and i looked at all forms and sites that had info i cant quite remember what model my comp. is but it is either http://www.emachines...?prod=EL1210-09 or http://www.emachines...?prod=EL1210-11 i bought it christmas 08 so its not an old comp. ty for your help :)

i had some help from broni but i have a few more questions i called emachiens now they told me all my info will be wiped is there a way i can save my info on my hdd?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
are you sending the machine in for warranty service?

if so you can go to the computer store and get an external hard drive enclosure, then put the old hard drive in that enclosure and hook it up to a working computer and copy all your files from it to the working computer...

you have to make sure that you get the right kind of enclosure though...without knowing what kind of computer you have you'll have to look at the hard drive to tell if it's SATA or IDE (PATA)...if it's SATA there will be a thin flat cable going to the drive the end of it is about the size of the end of a USB cable (the flat end)...if it's PATA there will be a flat ribbon cable going to the drive the end of which will be about 2 to 3 inches wide

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if you get this VANTEC CB-ISATAU2 SATA/IDE to USB 2.0 Adapter here...it will do both IDE and SATA DRIVES...

Cassandra5222

Cassandra5222

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
can i hook it up to another working computer or do i need an external hdd?

Cassandra5222

Cassandra5222

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

are you sending the machine in for warranty service?

if so you can go to the computer store and get an external hard drive enclosure, then put the old hard drive in that enclosure and hook it up to a working computer and copy all your files from it to the working computer...

you have to make sure that you get the right kind of enclosure though...without knowing what kind of computer you have you'll have to look at the hard drive to tell if it's SATA or IDE (PATA)...if it's SATA there will be a thin flat cable going to the drive the end of it is about the size of the end of a USB cable (the flat end)...if it's PATA there will be a flat ribbon cable going to the drive the end of which will be about 2 to 3 inches wide

yes im sending it in but i have a 160gb SATA

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
The idea behind this is to take the drive out of the computer that does not work and put it in an enclosure such as the 1 referenced by Happyrock.
You would then hook this to another computer via the USB.
Once that is done, you would move all your data to the other computer. You would save your pic, data, favorites, email files, etc.
Once you have saved everything, then you put the drive back in the non-working computer and send it in for the warranty service.