Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Create a bootable USB drive

* * * * * 1 votes

• Please log in to reply

datarunner

datarunner

• PipPipPip
  • 440 posts
Create a bootable USB drive

Windows XP / WK23 Type based on BartPE / UBCD4WIN

This will work with USB drives up to 32 GB and includes excellent tools for virus / malware removal, backup, drive repair, network tools etc including MBAM, SuperAntiSpyware, Avira, ERUNT, HJT etc.

Before I begin with the Windows type bootable USB I'm are assuming the follow ARE TRUE

* You have a licensed copy of Windows XP / Server 2003 (as you are using Microsoft files you NEED to own a copy of XP / 2003)
* You have ALREADY created a working BartPE or UBCD4WIN CD or .iso with the appropriate BartPE directory on your system
* Your BartPE / UBCD4WIN build works without any errors - Test your .ISO / CD using Virtual PC

If any of the above ARE NOT true I suggest that you go to either the BartPE or UBCD4WIN websites for instructions on how to build these.

OK so you have your BartPE / UBCD4WIN build with appropriate folder (usually C:\BartPE or C:\UBCD4WIN\BartPE\)

You've tested your CD or .iso and they work without error

Now you need the tools to transfer the data from the C:\BartPE or C:\UBCD4WIN\BartPE\ folder to the USB flash drive and make the drive bootable.

Tools Required:

* HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool
* GoCoding.com's PEtoUSB
* Windows 98SE Bootable Floppy Disk or .iso image
* GRUB4DOS

Step 1:

* Download and install the HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool
* Open the HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool
* Select your USB drive from the drop down list
* Select the FAT32 file system
* Check the Create a DOS startup disk box
* Point to your DOS system files (Win98 boot files) location (usually A: or on a virtual drive), I usually just mount the .ISO in a virtual CD drive
* Click "Start" and let it go

Step 2:

* Download and install PEtoUSB
* Open PEtoUSB
* Check "Enable File Copy" and select Overwrite Always from the drop-down
* Click "Start" and wait for the file copy to finish

Step 3:

* Select all the files for GRUB4DOS and copy them to the root of the USB key.
* Allow it to overwrite config.sys (if prompted)
* Open config.sys and edit the second line to read: device=grub.exe --config-file="color black/cyan yellow/cyan;timeout 0;default 0;title find and load NTLDR of Windows NT/2K/XP;find --set-root /ntldr;chainloader /ntldr"
* Save and close config.sys

And that's it. I have tested this method extensively and it works on most systems / mainboards including HP / Compaq / ACER / DELL / ASUS / PC CHIPS/ ECS / MSI / Foxconn - You have to set the BIOS to boot from USB or USB HDD or USB FDD or just the flash drive itself.

Pretty cool for systems that won't boot

Regards

Edited by datarunner, 19 September 2009 - 04:27 PM.

Advertisements

mouseshare

mouseshare

• Pip
  • 2 posts
where to find the usb root key

mouseshare

mouseshare

• Pip
  • 2 posts
* Select all the files for GRUB4DOS and copy them to the root of the USB key.
please help

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This is not a forum where assistance is offered. It is only for tutorials so you will have to post a new topic in the appropriate forum. In your case I would suggest the Windows XP forum. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.

datarunner

datarunner

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 440 posts
Hi Guys

Sorry but I have been very busy and didn't realise this guide was live.

Anyway as has been said, please post any questions in the XP forum and I will try to help as best as I can.

Regards

hammed

hammed

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Just wanted to give you a thumbs up :D for an awesome thread. Great info! I'm on my way to give it a try. Been wondering how to boot from the usb.