Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trouble with New Build Turning Off for no apparent reason.

• Please log in to reply

skyejenkins

skyejenkins

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I just bought all new components to build myself a computer, and have spent two days trying to get it running.

Specs -
AMD Phenom II X4 954 Deneb 3.0Ghz 95W
MSI 770-C45 AM3 Motherboard
Sapphire Radeon HD4850 512mb 256bit
RaidMax 730w Power Supply
Sony DVD Burner
Western Digital Caviar Blue 640 Gb HDD

My first issue was trying to install windows 7. During one point in the installation, my monitor would say "No Signal" and the computer couldn't be turned off unless I shut down the PSU. I tried multiple times, and decided to install Ubuntu, at least to get my drivers installed and everything running before installing windows. Ubuntu installed with no problems!! So I started it up, and after about 1 min of being up and running, the monitor goes black ("No Signal"), and the computer won't turn off. I went through all the troubleshooting I could, but haven't figured out what the problem is.
1. Not overheating, left CMOS on for 5 minutes, and temp never went above 37C.
2. All peripherals are connected properly.
3. Reset CMOS.

This is the interesting part, I opening the case to watch what was going on inside. The MSI 770-C45 has Active Phase Switching, which supposedly saves energy by controlling the power supply's output. There are 4 LEDs lit on full load, which is how the computer starts up. After the 1 minute mark, right as the LEDS switch to low load, (1 LED), the monitor goes to black (No Signal), and the computer is unresponsive. I know they have to be connected, but how?

I have also heard that I need to set the timing and voltage for the RAM... Is this true? Thanks.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Truthfully, I would think you might have a better chance of finding help if you searched Google for forums related to this particular motherboard. Unless someone here is versed in this exact motherboard or the settings required in bios, you'll be left waiting for an answer. Many motherboards, all manufactures, require that a bios update be done simply because the hardware has advanced beyond when the board was made or the bios was written. I know I had to update bios on several builds just so I could run particular hardware. I actually hate having to update bios on new boards... for obvious reasons, but sometimes it can't be helped.

Searching Google is what I recommend, and in the meantime, check back here to see if anyone else has responded.

skyejenkins

skyejenkins

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I actually solved the problem. Couldn't find anything on Google, but through some trial and error figured it out. The motherboard has a powersaving feature, that shuts off power to certain components when they aren't in use. Unfortunately, when installing windows, the motherboard goes into power-saving mode, and shuts down certain components, causing the computer to literally shut off. I went into CMOS, and turned off the power saving altogether, and windows installed fine, and now everything works. Thanks for the advice, makai.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
That's really weird. I've never had to disable power-saving on any motherboard when installing Windows as I've never experienced that problem.

Thanks for letting us know the outcome. :)

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
No kidding! I've never heard of power savings doing this during an install... and I just recently, (within the last 2 month), built three new systems, albeit not with MSI motherboards. I know many manufactures are going "green", but this is quite ridiculous! Something to watch for, I guess. Good work, by the way, and thanks for letting us know.

makai